• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

largest tire on stock XJ

Indian Joe

NAXJA Forum User
I just purchased a stock XJ w/45,000 miles, I want to upgrade the tires, I'm thinking of 30/9:50.
I previously owned 2 new XJ's "95 & 2000 and installed the above size w/little or no problems. However, since this vehicle is now 8 yrs old will this make a difference or should I go 235/15?
It's great to back in an XJ.

I bought my '96 XJ with 145,000 miles about a week before I deployed. It had some serious racing slicks on it so I retread it with 30x9.50x15 ProComp AllTerrains. The wheels are still stock too. I want to say they are 15x7 I think I read somewhere.
Anyway, I took it out about four times before I left and only rubbed one time. And that was when my 260lb buddy was sitting in the jumpseat. When I get back I'm going to go with bigger meat along with a lift and about a million other mods that I keep drooling over.

I have 31s with a 3" lift. At least that is what I was told when I bought it. Doesnt look like there is any lift in the back though....Should I be able to fit 33s with minor trimming?

1992 XJ

3" lift with some decent trimming and bumpstops will work with 33"s.
I have a 3" lift.. and im still deciding between 33"s and 34"s.. but my suspension is only going to get taller. i really dont want to be buying tires again for atleast a couple years.

I just purchased a stock XJ w/45,000 miles, I want to upgrade the tires, I'm thinking of 30/9:50,...
...,However, since this vehicle is now 8 yrs old will this make a difference or should I go 235/15?.

I'm currently running 30x9.50-15s(BFG, AT), stock steel rims, on a 2000 Sport with 105K miles. Both anti-sway bars still connected. No lift. The tires don't rub at all in moderate wheeling.

HOWEVER: (there's always a however:D) Right after I bought the jeep(like a week), I did a minor foolishness that allowed both front tires to catch air. When it landed, both front flares popped off. This was with 225/75-15s. If you like hitting the rough stuff fast, a little lift and bump stops would be in order.

I just compared the 235/75x15"s on my 2wd Ford to a 30/9.50 on a TJ wheel & they are close in height and width. When I went from 30"s to 235s on my 95 XJ it didn't make any significant difference except the 235s seemed to ride a little softer. This was on a completely stock 4.0 SE.

even with 235's, if you have aftermarket rims with less backspacing they will rub when wheeling or carrying heavy loads.

I have 235's on stock wheels with no lift. It's good unless I cut the wheel right to the lock, I can hear the tires rub a bit, nothing serious though.

245/70 r16 on a stock xj

IMG_9592.jpg

IMG_9593.jpg

front's don't have much room at all. it would rub when entering parking lots with the wheels turned. but i only used these w/out the BB the night before the lift was installed.

IMG_9599.jpg

i have 30x9.50 on stock might i add there Mt's and theres not any normal rubbing, but if you do smash your fender in the tire will rub on the fender.

just my .02

-Ian

I'd say 30s would fit. I'm running a budget boost and 31s. They don't rub that much, but a big reason they don't is the backspacing of the rims. I was running the budget boost and 30s, the 31s look better IMO.

:shrug: I'm only basing the 235/75R15 on stock rims with no trimming needed on running those tires on my '89 XJ with 15x6 stock rims, and on 15x7 rims on my '96. But what would I know? It's so much easier to speculate and pull a guesstimate out of your ass on this forum...

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I just got my first XJ, a 95 Country with 235/75/r15 Goodyear MTRs on it, all stock, and no troubles except under a big load, then a slight rub in rear. What is a comparable tire to this for less money. I don't mind spending money for a good tire, but if they are just going to wear out, price is a factor. The GY's have been pretty good to me but previous owner never rotated, and now I have 2 worn out fronts... Will a 29x10.5/15 work on stock XJ with stock wheels/spacing? or would I need to trim some? Any good tire reccomendations in this size would be great. I like an agressive tire, and they get used in all kinds of midwest terrain. Thanks Ed

I just got my first XJ, a 95 Country with 235/75/r15 Goodyear MTRs on it, all stock, and no troubles except under a big load, then a slight rub in rear. What is a comparable tire to this for less money. I don't mind spending money for a good tire, but if they are just going to wear out, price is a factor. The GY's have been pretty good to me but previous owner never rotated, and now I have 2 worn out fronts... Will a 29x10.5/15 work on stock XJ with stock wheels/spacing? or would I need to trim some? Any good tire reccomendations in this size would be great. I like an agressive tire, and they get used in all kinds of midwest terrain. Thanks Ed
To give you a close idea of fittment:
http://www.jeeptech.com/tire/

To compare metic to standard tire sizes:
http://www.redrock4x4.com/tech/tire...m=15&submitButtonName=Calculate&method=metric

HTH

I guess I should assume the factory 95 XJ country wheel is a 15x7? I suppose a thornbird or tsl at 29x10.5/15 is a bit big, but is really only an inch and a 1/4 more then the 235/75 which seems a good fit at the moment. Any recomendations on a meaty tire for a stock XJ with stock wheels? I like the MT/R's but they are pricey and I figured someone knew a better tire for this wheel/stock setup.
BTW this 95 Country has the sunburst pattern or whatever, if that matters on the wheel size. Thanks Ed

Last edited:
Back