• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 w/ ARB and 31" tires

nates94xj

NAXJA Forum User
Would a Dana 35 w/ ARB and 31" tires and 4.56 gears be liable to snap axles or whatever with moderate wheeling?

Would a Dana 35 w/ ARB and 31" tires and 4.56 gears be liable to snap axles or whatever with moderate wheeling?
Use the search button,you've been hangin for almost a year now.This has been addressed about 9 million times!
D35's suck!

do NOT put the money of an ARB in a d35. I dont even think its worth GEARING a d35 let alone an ARB locker.

ARB locker kit $800 +/-
dana44 OR F8.8 with lunchbox locker $500 +/-

I agree... for the money you're talking about spending on a 35 you could go out and find an already built 29 spline 8.25, or an 8.8, or a D44... Even if you can't find one geared/locked already, you would be better off in the long run to spend the little bit extra to go that route and not have to worry about it.

The reason I ask is that I found a used set of axles with ARBs and gears that are hella cheap. I would never build a DANA 35 myself. Most of the breakage I've read about seems to be with 33's, and I'm wondering if the strength of the ARB unit and the smaller tires makes a difference.

Just dont bother, it's a waste of money either way. Unless your getting it for free or less than $100, you may as well get a real axle. I'd rather be open on a Dana 44 for awhile then locked on a Dana 35.

~Scott

whoa, $3000? if you're talking about both axles geared with ARBs, maybe even alloys.... that's got to be an exaggeration, no?

Gears: 200/ea axle
ARB's : $850/ea axle
ARB kit: $300
Ford 8.8:$300
D30 Alloy shafts: $600

its 2 grand alone for the ARB setup. and personally.. not worth half that.

that's fine, i just mean for $3000 he certainly ought to be able to get more than one axle geared and an arb...

Find some 29 spline shafts & carrier for your 8.25. Put the gears in and throw an Aussie in there and be done with it. Youll be just about bullet proof on 31s.

For what its worth, I know some people with TJ's who wheel with D35's, alloy shafts, ARB's and 36' Iroks. A number of them haven't broken, but I know one guy with a Super 35 kit that snaped a shaft on 37's baja claws, and another who snapped his D35 with 36's TSLs on the same spot.

I wheeled the hell out of my old jeep with a 35. Never broke but it was also open on 33's. I've seen & heard too many break to justify what he wants to do. Anyone wheeling on a locked D35 that has not broke is just waiting for it to happen.

I agree that it is possible to wheel a built 35, no doubt. Just that if it were me building my jeep, might as well just spend a little extra up front and be good for quite awhile...

the only situation where buying a built d35 is even worth your time to swap em out, is if its allready built, dirt cheap, and ready-to-run. the minute you start going into installing gears on the axle to run it, its become to expensive for a d35! gear install aint cheap, but junkyard axles are!

i reason i said you gotta be joking is, arb's are the most expensive locker available, and usually people who run arb's abuse their jeeps.... so its kinda an oxy moron..... no offense intended.`

Back