• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bastard packs????

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
so tomorrow im headed to the junkyard to find the leafs i need for a bastard back and could use some advice

the leafs on my 89 XJ are completley shot so im assuming i cant use these.

i would like to get between 3-3.5in of lift but no more as i do not want to need a SYE or transfercase drop right now

is my best option to find some leafs from another xj, use the main leaf from them, then use leafs from a S10 for the bastard pack? or will this give me too much lift and i will need to add a sye or tc drop kit?

I also have a pair of shackles, they are non greasable with holes for two different hights...

do shackles have any other benifits besides adding more lift? is it better to just go with leafs over shackles?

thanks

i can tell you my bastard pack is s10 pack with my xj main 4 leafs total and the same shackle that you describe, used top hole, i got right at 4 inches. the shackle points just back and i am really impressed with the ride.

James, i used the cherokee main leaf, and bolted up 3 leafs from the S-10 pack and got almost exactly 3 inches

just to quickly answer your question about shackles/leafs... shackles are a good thing to use, if for no other reason they give you the couple extra inches of lift while allowing you to use a flatter spring pack, which helps with flexing. it also has the potential of giving a better ride if you can achieve an ideal shackle angle

Just my .02 for what it's worth, but when you use a longer shackle, it lowers just the rear of the spring. In turn, it causes the front of the axel to angle up towards the TC, giving you better driveline angles!

i don't know personally, but try searching. i'm sure people have posted this info before, and it's there for the finding....

If you have any doubt concerning any difference between the 2wd and 4wd models, just check their load capacities listed online. I am not a betting man but I would bet that there is no difference between models and the leaf springs used. I got mine off a 2wd model with low miles and they have been great...with maybe 3.5 inches of lift without using the short overload leaf at the bottom of the stack. Good luck.

96 xj that hauls hundreds of pounds of stuff.

i got mine from a 4wd chevy s-10 blazer. running 35s with the fenders cut n tucked. havent rubbed yet. bout to swap to dodge van springs

im glad this is working for some guys, i have my 97' main leaf with 4 s10 leaves, and my spring is flat/negative in some places at ride height, with a manche shackle..

I guess I have to show a quick pick of the aftermath. And yes I am a picture whore:

DSC03460-1800.jpg

Last edited:
Back