• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf springs

skullcandy

NAXJA Forum User
i need some assistance i am trying to bastard up a pack but cant seam to get my old spings out.... i am trying to fit 31's and i think that will involve some fender trimming as well i will need some input on that as i have never done this before thanks

To do a bastard pack it is possible to build them without actually removing the main leaf.

You can remove the main leaf but sometimes the bolts break and then you normally end up cutting the floor so that you can get the new nut and bolt tight.

If you are going to keep your stock main leafs it is best to build the bastard pack in place.... It can save a ton of effort.

Do your prep work on the springs long before tackling the job so you minimize your down time. Clean them up and paint them. Make sure you have enough of those plastic spacer pads. Cut the ends off carefully and try to leave a bit of the curve in place so a cut end doesn't rub against the main leaf. One thing I did was to leave the clips attached but I ground a groove at the fold and then bent the metal straight and welded the cut area up before drilling holes for 3 inch bolts. Three years later and it still is working great. Read the bastard pack thread and every other link you find and all your questions will be answered in the process. Be smart when you jack and support your jeep and do one side at a time though both tires will need to be removed. Basically one of the easier mods you will ever make to your vehicle.

I am having a real tough time with the s10 spring clamps. I finally got them bent up straight, but I fear I won't be able to bend them back down once in place. Anyone have any suggestions?

Don't bother bending them back. Drill a couple holes in both ends and run a 3 inch bolt across. Check out photos of others who have done this. It's the lateral (sideways,horizontal) movement you want to control more than a half inch, or less, of vertical play.

Last edited:
Back