• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another noise thread...

Deadman 94 xj

NAXJA Forum User
I'll try my best to describe it.

It's a metal on metal rattle sound that only happens when I accelerate up hill. Hard acceleration if you will, for as long as it takes to reach the top.

It seems to be coming from under the hood. I can't recreate it in the drive way so I can't get under there to tell. I thought that it might be one of the pullys (still could be) but I checked them and there's little to know play in any of them.

It sounds like an aluminum can in there or something really loose. It's not driveline related.

Any ideas? Thanks.

113k on the clock

That's a good guess but the mounts are poly and new. It's also not as constant or loud as that would be. Damn I hate describing this stuff on the internet lol.

I've heard the noise before, usually on an old beater diving by. It reminds me of that anyway.

I also thought that it might be the exhaust, the collar that meets the header, rattling around but it's not. That wouldn't make sense anyway since it only does it at up-hill acceleration.

Edit: I'll look into that anyway.

could it be a flex plate bolt loose, rubbing the separator plate?

Ahh, that it very well could be. I'll take a fun look at that too.

The only other thing I know of that is wrong under the hood is a slight RM seal leak since switching to synthetic. I doubt it's related but I figured I'd throw it out there.

One think about the flex plate bolt is that I can't imagine that it would only rattle at the times I mentioned. Does the flex plate flex? :gee:

My sons' catylitic converter rattled under heavy acceleration(95 4.0] before it did the complete self destruction thing. It sounded about like your description of the noise & it was at about 130k.

My sons' catylitic converter rattled under heavy acceleration(95 4.0] before it did the complete self destruction thing. It sounded about like your description of the noise & it was at about 130k.

No, I also know what that one sounds like. If you take that noise and put it upfront, it's *almost* perfect.

The cat is new.

I'm still thinking something to do with one of the pulleys.

i had a rattle like that with acceleration. turned out to be a piece that had broken off inside of my tcase and would bounce around inside it sounded like an old beater mobile going down the road. also sounded like it was coming from under the hood. (just something else to throw in to the mix)

if there is some wear in the thrust bearing, the crank shaft may move forward a little bit.not common, but not impossible

I don't have any experience with them. If that's the case than I might have to take a mechanic on a drive with me.

The noise seemed to come out of nowwhere and is getting progressively worse.
It's not super loud but I'm sure it can be heard from the outside.

I might just see if someone from the shop down the street will go for a ride. Won't be untill next week but I'll post back up if I get anything. Thanks for the replies.

I'll look into the flex plate and the fan.

if you can get the shield off and turn the motor by hand, you can see if the head of the flex plate bolt has rubbed or if it appears loose.
ps. pitt has to kick s.d.'s a$$ on sunday

Back