• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thinking about painting on the jeep some.

-TapouT-

NAXJA Forum User
I've been thinking lately about painting on my jeep some. The rockers and bottom parts of the doors and the rear quarter panels have some surface rust. It's not exactly bad but it doesn't look the best. Is there anyway you can repair surface rust and actually make it look decent? I guess i'm just gonna bondo it and sand it down real good and smooth it out and i'm wanting to use spray-on bedliner i've seen it done and it looks pretty good. How do you think it'll look? I'm wanting to paint from the blue line down on both sides. don't mind my mad tite paint skillz :laugh3:

3029908064_1d9137ecbb_b.jpg

If it's just surface rust and hasn't eaten through the metal yet, get a flap disk for a angle grinder and get down as much or all of it. Whatever is left use some rust converter on it, then make sure to scuff up all the paint that will be painted over to help adhesion of the liner.

Looks like from your pic. the rust is limited...

You have the right ideas for rust prep. grind and sand off,fiberglass/bondo holes,and
POR-15 for rust treament.

I like the bedliner on the sides. I rolled mine on (didn't want to spend the money for spray gun)

Some of the advantages to the bedliner:
Surface does not need to be smooth, it fills in very well.
It camouflages trail rash very well.

Good Luck

Nick

Back