• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas tank replacement

bxj

NAXJA Forum User
Was just driveing along minding my own business this colorful fall season and the ole DD hit one or more of our wonderful local hard pot holes and later at home and in the driveway I noticed quite a large pooling of gasoline under the XJ -So here I'm in the market again after the second used pick + pull gas tank rusted out yesterday and was wondering where others here on the NAXJA board have bought theirs-Also where can I purchase a good inexpensive(..read cheap..) replacement OEM fuel tank-Any recomendations,advice will be appreciated-TIA

Orielly, Napa, Autozone, Advance, Checkers, etc. usually can order fuel tanks. Ebay has quite a few usually. I'd just go back to the P&P and find a good one...

..yea..thanks all-Just kinda reacted to my busted and rusted-out gas tank before doing some slower shopping around-With this "new economic situation" around here(..read out of work..) I was of the mistaken mind that prices for a new gas tank would be something cheaper-After this last Pick + Pull used unit went south on me I'm going to spring for something with a little more durability-And in addition its getting a little more difficult here in the Midwest to get under some wrecked + salvaged XJ in these wet and muddy deteriorating weather conditions-
..thanks again for the help..

there are 3 listed on www.rockauto.com for a 95 xj(dont know what year you have)

SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # JP2B
Lock Ring Kit Included
$94.79

FINELINE Part # FLJP2B
101" wheelbase
$108.99

DORMAN Part # 576656 {Original Equipment Solutions}
101" WB
$117.79

Don't know what year your rig is but maybe you should look into the 97+ tanks since they are plastic instead of metal so don't have to worry about it rusting out.

Well,if he's got a steel tank,he's got an early model and the plastic(97+) IIRC wont fit.

I thought the only difference in the new tanks was length of the straps holding it, and that the pump was moved up top? But if he gets another steel tank before putting it in he could also scuff up the finish on it and completely cover it in herc or por15 so the weather won't hurt it.

.."scuff up the finish and apply some hereculiner coating"-Did not think of that-Good advice-Seems like absolutely everything on my ageing XJ I touch these day simply falls apart in small rust flakes-I am beginning to feel like some character in Ernest Hemingway's novel ,"The Old Man and the Sea"-I stay awake at night and am wondering just how much replacement is pointless-Another good Midwestern winter with salted roads and more problems- "Where O where" can I find another rust-free XJ body to transfer to ?-Does such an animal even exist ?-TIA
bxj

not around here either...i got lucky with my 95, being from cali. when i got it a few years ago it was 100% rust/rot free. It's since gotten banged up a bit on the trails, but still good in the rust department, for which I am quite thankful. With the 93, it's another story unfortunately. I too think you would be fine with a JY tank thats in good condition, unless it's close to the prices others have posted for a replacement tank. If the JY's pricing is close to that, I'd suggest just going with a new one, and not have to worry about it for quite awhile...

. Seems like it has been something of an ongoing failed attempt to keep the neighbors kids out of my yard-.-Seems like one or more of the neighbors young kids..( no one knows.who..) stuffed something maybe dirt or mud into my unlocked gas tank. and now I am trying to do the fuel tank repairs-
.."boy,......yer just got to love those crazy kids-"
(-Kramer on the Jerry Seinfeld T.V show )-I have taken the old gas tank pump out and it is a mess so now I am in the market for a replacement.
Anyone has any recommendations and a decent price on a new in-tank fuel pump _TIA
bxj

Sounds to me like you need to go next door and talk to the parents and tell them that their kids shoved some mud down inside your tank and messed up the fuel pump, then make them pay for a new one from the parts store.

Back