• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2002 and newer 4.0's

heyjpark1

NAXJA Forum User
Any of you guys know anything about the 2002-2006 4.0l engines that continued on in the wrangler? I'm assuming they used the individual coils on the plugs, but do they have head issues or anything else? I'm wondering if this swap could be worth looking at when my 89 takes a sheet.

the 99(ZJ)and 00 up TJ/XJ have a different block design than 98/99 and older. Though the 00-01 heads are more prone to cracking(though it's not very common), which was redesinged for the 02-06 4.0, to fix that problem.

Any of you guys know anything about the 2002-2006 4.0l engines that continued on in the wrangler? I'm assuming they used the individual coils on the plugs, but do they have head issues or anything else? I'm wondering if this swap could be worth looking at when my 89 takes a sheet.

the short block might be a direct swap, but if you want to use the long block you will have to either swap in the elctronics from the wrangler or modify the wrangler electronics to work with the renix ecu.

if you were going to do the swap, you need to deside whether your going to use the renix electronics(ecu)/fuel injection or the chrysler electronics(pcm)/fuel injection.

when my 89 dies, im going to keep the renix ecu and build a mild stroker with 91-95 head/intake/exhaust and use a bored out renix throttle body.

Back