• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing ball joints

nikga89

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know any tricks to replacing ball joints. there supposed to be pressed in with a certain tool? how can i replace them without a press? a vice and or some C clamps? who's got some knowledge on this?

Go to a auto parts store and rent a ball joint press. They are like 50 at autozone, but you get all of your money back when you return it.

also, make sure you get the adapter kit of different shoes basically, that is separate.

see you can do ball joints with a computer (and no i dont mean smash them in with the laptop) Shoot me a PM and we can get it done, i have the tools and have done a few of them including mine.

The job really sux without a good ball joint press. harbor freight sux, the autozone one doesnt come with the right cylinders (one is offset)

KH

yep, i have a good press that works well and i can get my hands on the right cups to git er done. I broke one of the harbor freight presses once, i still have a pice of steel in my left palm to attest to the quality.

Yeah a good press is gonna be like 75 dollars, and then the correct cup set is another 100 or so. It's crazy. It can be done with less, but if you want it to go smoothly, it'll cost ya. but isn't that the same with everything?

I used an autozone press. I didn't need any additional tools. I had no problems whatsoever.

It's a very simple process....my guess is work arounds are a lot more difficult than just going to autozone and getting a press.

I replaced 1 side on the wifes 2wd Ford Ranger and it was not that bad. It took about 5 hours to do one. I put the spindle on and then tightened all the bolts down and saw the boot was torn. So I had to do it again. Could of done both sides by then. When reading the book on it, I looked at the 4wd one first and thought sh*t. Coz you have to do a whole lot more.

So who makes a good press?

Okay, so there is some slight wayyyyyy outside chance I can get my Jeep out to Goatfest, but if I do, I will need to replace the ball joints on my junk.

Help an old coach out here...

:D

The one from auto zone had everything in it that I needed.

OTC 7249, it's about 75 bucks online. You'll also need the adapters. You may or may not get it with the Azone press. I'll have my press at JV, seeing how kevin is the Naxja posterchild for broken u-joints/balljoints. :) I have the OTC 7249 with the ATD 8697 master adapter set. About 10 minutes per side to do ball joints in socal rigs. :)

Last edited:
man i need to do mine. i did one side with the autozone press and it sucks balls. the adapters dont fit. took me like 4 hours to do one side because i had to grind and torch and pound the lower ball joint out. i need a good press. anyone have a good one i can borrow?

i have used my harbor frieght one about a dozen times and it is only Slightly belt and still performs.

Do get the best results you need a air gun, hammer and some knowledge of how to et something pressed in out.

Apply pressure with air gum/hammer to the ball joint press, then strike HARD the the hammer to the knuckle outside the ball joint and then repeate. Never had a ball joint resist that method. pepboys had a perfect cup and press adapter with the perfect angles when I used to rent. maybe see if they still have the tools for rent.

Back