• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo Gear is stuck

CharlieMopps

NAXJA Forum User
Think this is my first post in NAXJA... so... Hi!

Anyways... I went to replace my speedo gear to acomodate my 33's and the instructions say it may need a firm "Tug"

Well, I "tugged" so hard it pulled the gear off the spindle.

I locked vicegrips onto the spindle and am able to get 3 good hits in with a 3lb maul before they fly off.

Why is my speedo gear stuck as such? Any ideas on how to get it out?

btw: NP231 TC. Yellow gear is the one stuck.

Is the vehicle in park? Try chocking the wheels and putting it in neutral so you can rotate the driveshaft a tad. It might just be the way the gears are meshed right now. Have you run the case dry recently? If so, the gear (plastic) could have melted to the output shaft.

I might be picturing it wrong in my head as well.

What year? Mine usually slide right out.

Here ya go... snagged this pick from the web.
I can not get gear A out of housing B
and, by the way, my housing B is made from aluminum... not plastic like what's pictured.

speedoqf9.jpg

the fact that the housing is aluminum is likely what's causing your problem... the spindle is steel and when you put them together you're going to have crazy galvanic corrosion. i would suggest soaking it in pb blaster and/or taking off the top part of the speedo gear assembly (the part that has the electrical connector) and tapping it out from the inside with a punch

I have no electrical connection. Mine is cable driven.

Wait... I just realized I ordered the wrong gear... and can not find a gear anywhere for an 89 cherokee... is this thing not removable?

--

btw it's an NP231, but the gear I ordered is for a 93+ ??

Last edited:
I have no electrical connection. Mine is cable driven.

Wait... I just realized I ordered the wrong gear... and can not find a gear anywhere for an 89 cherokee... is this thing not removable?

--

btw it's an NP231, but the gear I ordered is for a 93+ ??

i got the speedo gear for my 89 at the dealer.

I meant, I figured out why I couldn't find the correct gear. The one I have is too short. I ordered the mopar one mentioned in the post today.

I still need to figure out how to get the one stuck in my housing out. But now that I have a better idea of how it works I'll give her another go tonight.

I meant, I figured out why I couldn't find the correct gear. The one I have is too short. I ordered the mopar one mentioned in the post today.

I still need to figure out how to get the one stuck in my housing out. But now that I have a better idea of how it works I'll give her another go tonight.

i dont think the length of the shaft has to do with it being a yj case. depending on the year, xj's came with 2 different length shafts.

Back