• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's the best D30?

SID'S Garage

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to re-gear and add lockers soon, but I'm running a 2000 Classic XJ with a LP D30.
If I can find a 44 I'll grab it, but if I can find a HP D30 cheap, what year should I look for?
There's a guy parting out a '97 nearby, but I know some years have better parts than others.
Any help? I tried a search on it, but couldn't find what I'm looking for...SID

2000 4.5" lift, 33" tires,242

You could also run a HP disco housing from the early XJ's and swap the shafts with your current shafts. It has a much heavier UCA mount on the passenger side and these axles are usually free.

There are are many options for you, thats just one.

my 89 has no vacuum disco on the front axle. Makes for a simpler assembly and you don't have to worry about vacuum issues. Dunno if it's stronger or not but I sure appreciate the lack of vacuum worries. (specially since I currently have a vacuum leak)

The 91+ are good and with the swapped parts from your LP will be a reasonable upgrade for under $100

I picked up one for $100, it had all control arms, track bar, brakes etc.... I locked and geared that for my '97 This gives me 2 sets of unit bearings, and spare shafts for use as trail spares.

When swapping a HP D30 into a 2000 or 2001 model XJ, will the propshaft clear the exhaust flange. The 2000 and 2001 has a three bolt flange which looks like it will be quite close to the propshaft if it sits higher.

When swapping a HP D30 into a 2000 or 2001 model XJ, will the propshaft clear the exhaust flange. The 2000 and 2001 has a three bolt flange which looks like it will be quite close to the propshaft if it sits higher.

If you're lifted its not a concern.

But what about flexing? I recall having read somewhere that someone who did this swap modified his exhaust flange, but can't remember the exact reason for doing so.

But what about flexing? I recall having read somewhere that someone who did this swap modified his exhaust flange, but can't remember the exact reason for doing so.

That is a very good question. All high pinion model xjs have that stupid dent in the down pipe below the header. I wonder if the 2000+ does not. If not I want one of those down pipes.

In your case, if it isn't already dented, pick one up from a pre 2000.

That is a very good question. All high pinion model xjs have that stupid dent in the down pipe below the header. I wonder if the 2000+ does not. If not I want one of those down pipes.

In your case, if it isn't already dented, pick one up from a pre 2000.
Its not dented,its very much like a regular header.It has a flange and both the collector and the pipe to the cat is larger than the earlier years.

Its not dented,its very much like a regular header.It has a flange and both the collector and the pipe to the cat is larger than the earlier years.

Nice!!! :thumbup:
I never in a million years would have thought to look for one on that year. It makes perfect sense though.

i thought 91's still had the smaller u-joints. IIRC, it was somewhere around 95 that the bigger u-joints were used in all of them. unless the axle was ABS equipped, in which all had bigger u-joints.

i thought 91's still had the smaller u-joints. IIRC, it was somewhere around 95 that the bigger u-joints were used in all of them. unless the axle was ABS equipped, in which all had bigger u-joints.

95 and up did have the stronger ujoints. which is why i grabbed a 95.

as for ABS, i belive they had even stronger ujoints then a regular HP D30 95+

Back