• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I took my dana 30 all apart and can't get it....

paulie5982

NAXJA Forum User
Please help,

I took my dana 30 all apart , to regear, and can't find someone to set it up for me.
My "friend" was helping me and I thought he knew what he was doing. we put it together wrong and now my mechanic won't even fix it. He says he needs to know how the pinion was shimmed to get it set up again. OOPS.
There must be someone around who CAN do it for me, right? Oh yea without charging me a million bucks.
1997 cherokee
dana 30 high reverse cut
anyone know a good gear guy in the westchester county, ny area, or danbury, ct. area

if he can't figure it out he's not the mechanic for you look around at good local speed shops or custom shops the average run of the mill mech shop is gonna stumble around and possibly do it wrong. check superpages.com for some shops.

Find a 4wd shop. Starting depth for the 30 is .060 pinion shims including the oil baffle which is either .020 or .030. Starting backlash is .030 RGS and .060 non ring gear side.
Set it up with those, and take a pattern, go from there. :)

Here's a good article on setting up gears.

http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/

If the pinion depth is marked on the end of the pinion (as it should be) then all you need is a pinion depth gauge (I made my own) and that gives you a base setting to start with.

Most of the time its real close.

so your tore everything apart before you even found somebody to install the gears....doh

did you keep the old shims from the pinion?

if so just put everything together the way it came apart. thats about all you can do unless you find somebody to install em. going rate is usually 200 bucks for install

if you regeared without changing the case, chances are it will set back up nearly perfect with the shims that came out of it. D30s are really nice in that they usually set up really nicely without a lot of fuss. you might want to check out which master kit you got. you said that it wouldn't go back together, you may have an incorrect crush sleeve...

if you regeared without changing the case, chances are it will set back up nearly perfect with the shims that came out of it. D30s are really nice in that they usually set up really nicely without a lot of fuss. you might want to check out which master kit you got. you said that it wouldn't go back together, you may have an incorrect crush sleeve...
You funny!! It doesnt even use a "crush" sleeve!

Is the rear axle already regeared?

I'm betting you didnt pull the carrier and pinion shims, if you didnt punch out the outter pinion bearing race and shims you could put your parts back in and retorque.

My D30 didn't use a crush sleeve either (1995) but I think that the earlier D30's did?

Although his is a 97 so it should be the same without a crush sleeve.

Not sure about the low pinions!

Back