• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question on S.Y.E's

tonexj

NAXJA Forum User
so i have one on my 89' 231 t-case thats behind a peugot 5-speed. im lifting my 94' 4.0L aw4 231 xj and want the S.Y.E. transfered over, is it possible?

im like 95% sure it should bolt right into the new one.

you might have to trim the shift rail in the new one, but yeah.

shouldnt be a problem.

hopefully you have enough length in the slip yoke. the 5 speed is shorter than the aw4 so you need a longer drive shaft. what rear axle was in the
94 and whats the 89 have.

length of drive shaft maybe an issue.

89 had a 36" tom woods shaft connected to a d35. the 94' has the aw4/231 to a 8.25, but im gonna swap in an xj d44 as soon as i find one. and the 94' will be lifted probably about 6" so i rele need to be able to use that tom woods shaft n s.y.e.

if your SYE isn't a hack and tap, the 89 has 21 spline output from the tranny, and 94 has a 23 spline output.

so, if you have one of those SYE's that replaces the entire shaft, it will not bolt up unless you swap your tranny over too.

if your SYE isn't a hack and tap, the 89 has 21 spline output from the tranny, and 94 has a 23 spline output.

so, if you have one of those SYE's that replaces the entire shaft, it will not bolt up unless you swap your tranny over too.

The SYE will work wether its a 21 or 23 spline transmission output/transfer case input. The mainshaft will work wether its a hack and tap or a full SYE shaft replacement. He was asking if he could transfer the SYE over, not the entire transfer case. He could use his current transfer case if he swapped over the transfer case inputs, which means disassembly of the whole transfer case.

Back