• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keep my 8.25 or go with a D44?

I hit the junk yard today to grab another Ford Taurus fan (my old one caught fire after the bearing siezed). I also scored a D44 with limited slip out of an 88 MJ- the first jeep I came to. I know that the 44 is a junkyard diamond.

I am debating on putting that on my 95 XJ becuse I already have a good rear axle. Its a 29 spline 8.25 out of an 01 XJ. I have regeared to 4.56 and have added ZJ rear disks and a RoughStuff diff cover. My future plans for that axle included shaving the bottom of the diff, an Aussie Locker, raised shock mounts and antiwrap perches.

To run the D44 that I got today, at a minimum I would have to regear (would I need a new carrier?), swap in disk brakes, weld on spring perches, and weld on shock mounts. Then I would like to add a locker and if I went with Aussie then I would need a carrier as well. Add to that a RoughStuff diff cover.

Welding on either axle is not a problem for me- see my sig.

Part of me wants the slightly stronger 44 and the raretey of our 44s. But then another part of me looks at all the work and money I put into my 8.25 already. I just dont know which way to go with it. Input, thoughts and ideas?

stewie

I was in the same boat. I had a built 29-spline 8.25 with 4.56 gears, No-Slip, ZJ disc brakes, Superior shafts, and BTF cover. Which was fine for what I do.

Then I found a Dana 44 in the junkyard. I bought it thinking I'd just turn around and sell it. But before I knew it, I bought a 33-spline Detroit, Spicer 4.56 gears, 33-spline Alloy USA shafts, Explorer disc brakes, and a Rockcrusher cover.

Sold the 8.25 to a fellow SoCal member. I'm happy with the 44 though.

what tire size & kind of wheeling do you do?

I had to downgrade ($$ reasons) to 31s earlier this year. I hope to have 33s before Fall Fling 09.

Wheeling includes malls, loading docks, curbs, hondas etc :D. I wheel Moab and also in Arizona- rocks, shelfs, rocks and tire killing rocks. My rig is mildly built right now with 4.5" KRustys springs, TnT Y-Link upgrade, D30 Aussie locked. Nothing too major, yet...

stewie just run the 8.25 you got the funds into it now and itll be fine if you put in alloys up to 35's nicely just run it and be happy dont spend the cash on the 44 unless you need to go deeper than 4.88s or you want to run 37's... I dumped my 8.25 for a 44 and like it but dont think it was actually worth it in the long run its not a bad axle and I have never seen a busted c clip on a 8.25 from wheeling...
themud

the 8.25 will do the job fine on 31's and even 33's. If you are thinking about 35's after that... i'd go with the D44.

I just scored an MJ 44 for MJ on monday. I also have an 8.25 29 spline in my MJ with ZJ discs and welded spiders. Been wheeling it with 35 inch krawlers for 3 or 4 years now with no breakage. I am gonna swap in the 44 because I picked up a set of 4.88s new in the box for 50 bucks. Plus locker selections for the 44 are a little cheaper and lots more to choose from. I am also thinking of running 37s on the street to save my krawlers for the trail.

save your money, and keep the 8.25, and with the money youve saved go back to 33s eventually.

the 8.25s in my book are pretty strong rears. i never had a problem with mine, and i beat on it for a year locked with 35s. only reason i built an 8.8 was because i wanted 5:13s. ive seen 8.25s run on everytire size between a 31, and 36, and never once have i seen it fail. the dana 30 on the other hand....ehhh

I feel ya, I hit up the JY looking for a new diff cover for my 8.25, and the first XJ I looked under found the 44(and about shat myself). My advantage over you, is I didn't have any money in my 8.25. I swapped in the D44 for the stronger housing, non c-clip, deeper gears, slightly stronger axle shafts, with the ability to do to 33 or even 35 spline(not that I'd ever go 35 though), and the 1/2" extra ground clearance.

I feel ya, I hit up the JY looking for a new diff cover for my 8.25, and the first XJ I looked under found the 44(and about shat myself). My advantage over you, is I didn't have any money in my 8.25. I swapped in the D44 for the stronger housing, non c-clip, deeper gears, slightly stronger axle shafts, with the ability to do to 33 or even 35 spline(not that I'd ever go 35 though), and the 1/2" extra ground clearance.

Which yard was this?

Keep the 8.25, I like this rear and haven't had any issues on 32's/locker/alloy shafts/4.10. I'm going to 35's/locker/4.88/trussed soon so we'll see how tough it is but I know of at least one local wheeling the 8.25 hard on 35's/4.56/stock shafts/tera-low in the rocks with no issues/regrets.

stewie just run the 8.25 you got the funds into it now and itll be fine if you put in alloys up to 35's nicely just run it and be happy dont spend the cash on the 44 unless you need to go deeper than 4.88s or you want to run 37's... I dumped my 8.25 for a 44 and like it but dont think it was actually worth it in the long run its not a bad axle and I have never seen a busted c clip on a 8.25 from wheeling...
themud

y would you not use 4.88's in an 8.25? they make em for them?

I have never seen a busted c clip on a 8.25 from wheeling...

It's not the c-clip that breaks. :) It's the shaft.

Even though I dumped my 8.25 in favor of a D44, I really didn't have to. Just put a couple of welds on your 8.25 where the tubes meet the pumpkin, and you'll be good.

Back