• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what should you limit your speed to while in 4LO

I try not to go faster than 20mph, but I wont go beyond 30mph.

~Scott

if you're going 30MPH, you should have it in High... you shouldn't need low for going that fast...

Pretty much just depends on your RPMs, your engine won't let you go too fast, and if you want your engine to last don't wind it up too high. Obviously you shouldn't use it on dry pavement (or any pavement really).

With the AW4, third gear in 4 LO is about the same ratio as first gear in HI. So I would assume you could do about 40-45 mph. (nearing the redline) So a cruising speed would be about 20-25.

What's the point in wanting to go fast in low range anyway?

if you're going 30MPH, you should have it in High... you shouldn't need low for going that fast...

Well I say its the max speed I go because I do that on the roads inbatween trails occasionally...and dont feel like holding the group back to switch out of low.

~Scott

What's the point in wanting to go fast in low range anyway?

Its a PITA to stop and shift out of 4low for those periods on the trail where you dont need 4low, only to need it a couple seconds later.

I usually dont go over 2k rpms in 3rd gear. Seems to be about 15mph, but I also have a 4:1.

Consult an owner's manual, it specifies it in there. If it's the same as my TJ (same xfer case), I believe the top speed for 4LO was around 45mph.
Can anybody confirm from an owner's manual?

wow... that's a lot faster than I'd want to take it... just seems like it would but un-due strain and wear on 4-lo.... I just opt for keeping the speed down when in low range. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but that's my thoughts...

all I gotta say is lauching at the dragstrip in 4 lo is awsome. just let up after the first 60 feet and people think you're making so much power that you broke something. :D

hahahahaha if you DO launch like that in 4lo, you might actually break something!

Back