• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear View Mirror Wont stay glued..

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
I've used this glue twice:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/Prod...d=1226423080245&cycleCount=1273&currentPage=0

Cleaned both the windshield and plastic mounting tab really well.. sanding the plastic tab... I was wheeling this weekend..and it feel off after some violent jolts..

Anyone have any other glues to recommend? Do any of you guys remove your mirror when you wheel to prevent it from breaking off the windshield?

I just drilled a hole in the glass and bolted it on that way

Just kidding, I've never had a problem with offroad jolts on a mirror. I used plain ole super glue once and it worked charms.

Save yourself the hassle, and just go to a windshield shop. Here they charge like 5 bucks to install it for you. I have never had good luck with the windshield glue kits and stuff like that. I always just let the pros do it, and seems to save a lot of time and hassle.

are you taking the tab out of the mirror? you have to pull the piece out of the mirror, glue it up, tape it in place, let it sit for a few hours, then put the mirror on. I worked parts for a while and, no offense, but every time it did not work it was user error.

I use the permatex brand without issue. on a really stubbon application i've been known to sand the glass and reclean w/ brakecleaner before using the primer swab. hth

I've had good luck with the permatex stuff on my girlfriend's car. I used some other stuff that didnt work (stuff from walmart) but using the permatex glue seemed to work for me. It's been on there for about 6 months now and no problems. Just make sure you clean it with alcohol swabs and don't touch the windshield where it's getting glued or the surface of the mirror button. Like four shot said too, you can sand the button and even the windshield too, that helps.

I marked the outline of the mounting tab on the windshield then carefully sanded the glass some with 220 grit wet and dry sand paper. It never fell of again.

When I've had to do this, I will also put a couple layers of masking tape on the outside of the windscreen, over the "foot", to keep sunlight off of the glue while it cures. Might have something to do with why I've never had trouble, as UV is typically murder on adhesives!

edit Forgot - leave the tape on for 48-72 hours. I think that the glue typically cures in 12 hours or less, but why take chances? The tape is already on there anyhow, so give the stuff a fighting chance to fully "set" before you expose it to the elements...

Last edited:
Loc-Tite Powergrab worked pretty well for me once. I was working in the middle of nowhere for a few days and my choices were that or Liquid Snail. It held for almost a year til I sold the truck. Still holding afaik.
X3 on shielding from sun.

a little dab will do ya-- words to live by. More often than not, I've seen them fail from too much glue being used. If you can see any blobs around the edge of the button/foot when you're done, it's too much.

Save yourself the hassle, and just go to a windshield shop. Here they charge like 5 bucks to install it for you. I have never had good luck with the windshield glue kits and stuff like that. I always just let the pros do it, and seems to save a lot of time and hassle.

I think gluing a mirror to a windscreen is a task just about anyone can do with great success and a tolerable amount of "hassle". It also builds confidence one needs to tackle those larger tasks like cleaning an air filter and (gasp) changing the oil!:shhh:

Back