• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control Arm Install

mbogosia

NAXJA Forum User
I had loosened my control arms at one point when I was messing with the front pinion angle, and then when installing spacers. Anyways, it seems like my bushings are now shot. I think I tightened the control arms while the vehicle was on jacks. Is this okay or should I have waited and tightened them when the truck was down and on the ground?

I would have waited till it was on the ground. While its on the ground loosen then tighten back up again, see if that helps any. You didn't say which position you think the bushings are shot in but. I just did my axle side bushings this past weekend. With the help of a ball joint press it wasn't to bad of a job if yours are shot now.

Right now I am just speculating. I haven't had a chance to look yet, but I am getting a bit of a shake when I apply the brakes at higher speeds and I am getting a clunking noise over bumps.

I wonder if it would be easier to jsut buy some ca's at a junkyard.

its easier and maybe more costed effective(save time) buying new arms from quadratech than just replacing bushings.

also tighten the bolts with the weight of the vehicle on the ground and torque to spec. you dont want to over torque the control arm bolts because the bushings may tear over time and limit the suspension from cycling.

Back