• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

keyless entry remote question

jaxes88

NAXJA Forum User
well recently I got the power door locks working in my 88 xj (thank greg smith for his awesome writeup) and now I want to have keyless entry. my jeep has the factory keyless entry system but the remote was lost somewhere over the years. so I went to my local dealership and they gave me that little "well its obsolete :)smsoap:the xj will never be obsolete in my idea) so we dont have that part anymore" excuse. I checked online and I cant find any remotes for a jeep as old as mine.
bottom line is- does anybody know where I can get a keyless entry remote for an 88 xj?
thanks, jake

The older IR keyless entry system are finicky as they age and the 'line of site' range of the remote leaves a lot to be desired.
IMO, it's much easier (and more reliable) to add an aftermarket RF keyless entry that comes with an alarm system or remote start. Usually about $150 or less & the remote start is very nice to have in colder climates.

Don't waste your money on this link - the claim of "dealer programming" in that ad is an out and out lie. Go with the link to Piland.

When my factory remote died, I did a bit of research on it, and even downloaded the data sheet for the microchip inside it. This is what I learned:

It is an IR (infrared) remote; it works like a TV remote - line of sight. It cannot be reprogrammed at the dealer, though it is the factory part. The microchip inside it puts out a series of pulses through the IR emitter. The exact sequence of pulses is determined by a number of input pins (12, I think) on the chip, which can be wired to one of three states - high, low, or float (no conection). That means there are a huge number of possible combinations. The receiver and transmitter use the same chip, and must be wired identically for the remote to work. Inside the remote and on the receiver circuit board you can find a little sticker with a 5-digit code. Only if the transmitter and receiver have the same code will the remote work the locks. Exactly how that code number is translated into the correct combination of highs, lows, and floats is not widely known.

Having been inside the factory remote, I can tell you that the microchip in question is a tiny surface-mount device. My guess is that you cannot change a remote's code by resoldering the pins (even if you had the skills) because the actual connections are etched into the layers of the circuit board itself.

For an XJ with the IR keyless system, there are only two real options - buy from Piland or replace it with an aftermarket system - if you want keyless access. The Piland unit is pysically more robust (mine's been in my pants pocket every day for nearly nine years now and has been dropped countless times, and still works fine) than the OEM. I'd recommend Piland to anyone looking for a remote for the Jeep IR keyless.

Rob

I replaced mine with an aftermarket RF model (Audiovox). I wired the lock/unlock wires into the relays under the pass side kick panel. The whole unit cost me $50 and came with 2 remotes. The remotes are 3 button remotes so I can add a 3rd "option" if I desire some day. It also supports flashing the lights, horn chirp, stater interrupt and more.

I also found the exact same model on eBay for $20 about a year later. I bought it so I now have 4 remotes and a spare control unit.

I got the one for my 92 from piland. Its nice to have but it really does only work from a few feet away. I have tinted rear windows too so alot of times it doesn't want to work if I am behind the jeep.

Kill two birds with one stone....
I just installed a Bulldog Security Remote Starter model RS1100 on my 2001 XJ.
took about 3 hours...but I move kind of slow. I bought it on Ebay for $25 plus shipping. I did not have a factory alarm...and I only wired up the parking lights, hood pin, and remote starter. I use my factory key fob for unlocking the power door locks... But you can wire the remote starter to operate your door locks.
I found all the information I needed to install it came in the kit, or was at the website www.bulldogsecurity.com
I have tested it at around 400 feet away, through a concrete wall, and it works fine.

Back