• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cranks for awhile before it starts

gone postal

NAXJA Forum User
'97 Country 4x4 119k

A few weeks ago I noticed that the XJ takes a few seconds to finally start - especially first thing in the morning or if it's been sitting for several hours (at work, etc). If I just run into a store for a few minutes, get gas, etc, it will start up instantly.

Now, I use to have a '91 and it was common for the fuel pressure check valve to fail, so I did the BMW part fix and that helped immensely!! Are the later models prone to this too? Is it also internal to the fuel pump like the early models? Or is it possible that it could be my starter going out? (and if so, why does it start faster when warm?)

Appreciate any tips or advice.

'97 Country 4x4 119k

A few weeks ago I noticed that the XJ takes a few seconds to finally start - especially first thing in the morning or if it's been sitting for several hours (at work, etc). If I just run into a store for a few minutes, get gas, etc, it will start up instantly.

Now, I use to have a '91 and it was common for the fuel pressure check valve to fail, so I did the BMW part fix and that helped immensely!! Are the later models prone to this too? Is it also internal to the fuel pump like the early models? Or is it possible that it could be my starter going out? (and if so, why does it start faster when warm?)

Appreciate any tips or advice.

Bleed back valve on the pump: fuel pressure goes down as it flows back to the tank. If you search you can find info on which valve (there is a BMW one IIRC that is easy to splice inline) to get or replace the whole pump (you can try and rebuild it.. but good luck). Anywayc, good check for pressure is to turn the ignition to the pre crank position, count to 10 or 15 and then crank. The precrank positno gets the pump going. If it starts immediately or faster then it's definetaly pressure issue.

Back