• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 - losing power to front diff

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
what would cause my np242 to lose power to the front diff when going downhills? still stays in low range rwd. I've got a complete spare 242. just need some help. and only when going downhill. It'll climb forever and not do it under load.

almost cause an offroad accident going down a very steep snow covered hill yesterday when it did it, my xj turned into a bobsled. I came close to needing a new pair of underpants and a jeep

Last edited:
straight at the time, part time 4 low, I've got a 231 and a 2 low kit for it, but I wanted to wait until spring and maybe save up for a 4:1 kit for it. I have a part t case and was wondering if it was just a matter of swapping a simple part? oh and my chain is fresh

what would cause my np242 to lose power to the front diff when going downhills? still stays in low range rwd. I've got a complete spare 242. just need some help. and only when going downhill. It'll climb forever and not do it under load.

almost cause an offroad accident going down a very steep snow covered hill yesterday when it did it, my xj turned into a bobsled. I came close to needing a new pair of underpants and a jeep

how could you tell it lost power to the front wheels?

so do you have a 231 or 242 in the jeep? in your first post you say 242, in the last you say 231. if it is a 231, im going to say you have a vacuum disconnect front axle and something with that went bad causing it not to engage.

so do you have a 231 or 242 in the jeep? in your first post you say 242, in the last you say 231. if it is a 231, im going to say you have a vacuum disconnect front axle and something with that went bad causing it not to engage.
242, eventually plan on installing a 231 i have (next spring)
no disco

Could be a worn mode fork. There are two shift forks in there. One is for high range, neutral, and low range. The other is for 2wd/4wd. The forks have plastic pads on the tips of the forks where it rides in the gear. If they are worn the gears can move around and pop in and out of high/low into neutral or 2wd 4wd.

The other issue could be linkage adjustment. If it's not fully in low range it is possible it's "popping" into 2wd on decel down hill. The motor/trans is of course rubber mounted and rotates a bit on accel and decel. It could be just enough to cause your problem. I'd check that first.

HTH,
B

Back