• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing 99 intake???

DanMan2k06

NAXJA Forum User
Ok well I'm about to head up to the local yard. They just got in a few late model cherokees. One is a 99 that I'm gonna swindle the intake manifold from. My question is, what do I need to know/have to remove it? I've been searching around and there are tons of threads on it, but all have to do with installing. This yard has no power, can't bring in generators, so now air or power tools. I know there are tons of you out there that have removed them. I'm just looking for a heads up I guess. Any hidden bolts? Hard to reach nuts? seized or rusted studs common? That type of thing. My tool bag is pretty elaborate so I feel prepared, I just don't want it to turn into another CPS kinda removal that totally blows. Thanks in advance.

Also, if you guys need anything for the recent models, PM me. I'd love to help out.

9/16" socket, extension, ratchet, and a universal socket or extension helps. A short breaker is good. You'll also need some small torx bits if you're going to pull the sensors or TB off, as well as some smaller sockets for the fuel rail/TB bolts (10mm?).

If you're not disassembling anything on the manifold, take something to cut the fuel line, and the sockets.
On my 97, it was surprisingly easy to unbolt the manifolds- no seized hardware at all. Used my 3/8" breaker and a ratchet, had it off in no time. Took more time to disassemble the rail and harnesses.

Sending you a PM, too. :)

What he ^ said

Im used to workin on imports, so the first thing I grab is metric sized wrenches and sockets. I've found that 14mm works for the intake/exhaust bolts. The ones under the manifold are the trickiest to get. Make sure you have a decent assortment of extensions, and a wrench. You'll need to loosen the serpentine belt (15mm socket and wrench i think) so you can spin the power steering pulley to remove all the bolts (11mm or 10mm) that hold it on the manifold. The tb and injector rail are held in by 10mm or 11mm bolts if you want to leave them on the car. If you can, take a few rubber vacuum lines if theyre stilll in good shape, youll likely need to extend some of the ones on your xj to hook up the vacuum lines to the new manifold. Try to pry the manifold off the head in an even, level form. I accidentaly broke one of the stud holes on the manifold cuz i tilted it down too far.

Well I was up there today. Got a perfect radiator, aux fan, and some other misc. parts. The intake was the last thing I worked on (big mistake). They closed before I could get it completely out. Which is almost worse because now somebody else will finish it off lol.

Anyway, I ripped out the rail, cut all the electrical line and harnesses, unbolted the TB and cable braket. And proceeded to take out the large bolts along the manifold. However after getting them all out, I could not get the manifold loose. I could push it downwards a little, and wiggle it some but it felt like there were more bolts along the bottom. Almost like they were in between the intake and exhaust manifolds. Should I get out the rubber mallet and pry bar or look around for more hardware?

Edit: Crap. Looks like there were more bolts than I though. I was prying on it pretty good today, hope I didn't warp or bend anything. There's two in the yard, I might just start fresh with the new knowledge. Thanks for the help :)

Anyway, I ripped out the rail, cut all the electrical line and harnesses, unbolted the TB and cable braket. And proceeded to take out the large bolts along the manifold. However after getting them all out, I could not get the manifold loose. I could push it downwards a little, and wiggle it some but it felt like there were more bolts along the bottom. Almost like they were in between the intake and exhaust manifolds. Should I get out the rubber mallet and pry bar or look around for more hardware?

Edit: Crap. Looks like there were more bolts than I though. I was prying on it pretty good today, hope I didn't warp or bend anything. There's two in the yard, I might just start fresh with the new knowledge. Thanks for the help :)
Thats exactly how i broke mine. There are a LOT of bolts on the bottom, you have to take all of them out besides 3

Well I got it out. Not hard at all, but pretty time consuming. It was much easier after removing the air filter box and idler pulley bracket. Sorry hubs, all the other aux fans were smashed.

Back