• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ Differential Maintenance

jgmcgriff

NAXJA Forum User
I have leaks on both the front and rear differentials. The rear appears to be the main seal. The front appears to be on the drive shaft side. I have a few queastions, as this is my first diff project...

1. what kind of fluid do I need to refill the diffs? exact brand and code would be great, if anyone knows it.
  2. anything special I need to know when removing and replacing the rear seal?
  3. how difficult is it to replace the drive side seal on the front diff? is it something i can do in my driveway?

1. what kind of fluid do I need to refill the diffs? exact brand and code would be great, if anyone knows it.

Just did this a couple of weeks ago on my '00. Valvoline 80-90 gear oil for both. And dont forget the friction modifier in the rear if you have LSD.

Its also probably a good time to do the xfer case. I put dex III in it.

ixj

if you have the window sticker or build sheet that should have it. Also there might be a sticker in the glove box that says you have it.

Or just jack it up. With both wheels off the ground, rotate a wheel. If the other one goes the opposite way, the rear is 'open'. If it rotates the same way, it's Limited Slip. A good thing to have is the 'Build Sheet', which will outline the various options your particular vehicle has. It can be gotten thru Jeep.com, with a little digging. The only problem I've seen is that the build sheet for my '96 Country states that my car has Power Rack and Pinion steering! I wish!

Lubelockers are great, my bro got em. Real nice, I never use synthetic gear fluid, a fellow axle mechanic told me it was not a good idea for x reasons......anyway.....vav works fine....
in fact as a add-on to the oil battle argument......i have an 87 ramcharger that my family and i put a 440 in several nyears ago. we plow with it,a nd drive it seldom in the winter......we always used shitty no name oil with whatever filters, usually wix maybe........and the oil is still pretty clean after years.........so changing the oil is good enough, dont get caught up on name brands so much.....

Wix is actually a VERY high quality filter. It is used by NASCAR for a reason.

The front diff appears to be leaking where the front drive shaft enters the housing. How hard is this to fix?

your talking about the pinion seal and no it's not hard to change.

just measure the pinion preload before you unbolt the yoke.

once the yoke is off, pry the seal out with a small screwdriver or pick

then install a new seal

and bolt the yoke back on

and set the preload the same.

No scraping needed when you use a Lube Locker seal. I learned the hard way. I had my rear diff cover on and off 3 times before I got frustrated and ordered a set of front and rear Lube Locker seals. I just kept screwing up the RTV sealant somehow and it would leak after a month of driving.

Each time the cover comes off is over 20 bucks in fluid, RTV, and friction modifier. I do not think my Lube Lockers will leak, but time will tell.

No scraping needed when you use a Lube Locker seal. I learned the hard way. I had my rear diff cover on and off 3 times before I got frustrated and ordered a set of front and rear Lube Locker seals. I just kept screwing up the RTV sealant somehow and it would leak after a month of driving.

Each time the cover comes off is over 20 bucks in fluid, RTV, and friction modifier. I do not think my Lube Lockers will leak, but time will tell.

Thanks again Rock. I'm ordering a set today.

Wix is actually a VERY high quality filter. It is used by NASCAR for a reason.

I bet 95% of the crap that says "used by nascar" is not..

Very frequently, I know this is true in drag racing.. a team could be sponsored by Castrol, or Royal Purple, and they are running a different oil.

Also love the "nascar certified" stuff..

It's just marketing..

Or just jack it up. With both wheels off the ground, rotate a wheel. If the other one goes the opposite way, the rear is 'open'. If it rotates the same way, it's Limited Slip. A good thing to have is the 'Build Sheet', which will outline the various options your particular vehicle has. It can be gotten thru Jeep.com, with a little digging. The only problem I've seen is that the build sheet for my '96 Country states that my car has Power Rack and Pinion steering! I wish!

The 10bolt in my 95' Z28 has a LS and.. they turn in opposite directions...

After its jacked up and secure. Try turning the drive shaft instead of one of the wheels. I'de be willing to bet they will rotate the in the same direction. thats if you have and LSD.:dunno:

Back