• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Yoke question

jdbwrx

NAXJA Forum User
So I need to replace the pinion yoke on my Dana 30, and got to wondering about the two styles. I currently have the strap set up. Is a U-bolt a better way to go (stonger)? If it is, is there any reason why I couldn't switch to that?

The D30 yoke is not the same as a D44 yoke. Either will fit either diff, but the D30 yoke uses straps, while the D44 (all? some?) uses u-bolts. So if you want to use u-bolts on your D30, get a D44 yoke set up for u-bolts.

87 D44 that I bought has straps, so I guess 'some' would be the right answer.
I had to buy a new pinion yoke just like you sugest, to switch.
xjbubba said:
The D30 yoke is not the same as a D44 yoke. Either will fit either diff, but the D30 yoke uses straps, while the D44 (all? some?) uses u-bolts. So if you want to use u-bolts on your D30, get a D44 yoke set up for u-bolts.

my rear d44 came stock with a strap style. but when i had my d44 and d30 regeared at the same time, i went ahead and upgraded them both to the u-bolt style. they were the same part # from randy's

One of Dana's on-line sites has yoke applications. I don't remember the site, but used it to get the correct part number to buy a new yoke for my front D44. The yoke that came on my '79 Ford D44 was for a 1350 u-joint (u-bolt style)--I needed a u-bolt style that fit a 1330 (standard XJ size) u-joint. Hence the Google search and discovery of the Dana site. It's possible XJ D44's (only rear applications) were strap style yokes. Point is, when ordering a new yoke for your D44, make sure it fits your current u-joint size, and uses u-bolts. On the matter of u-bolts, finding them turned out to be a PITA! I bought my yoke from Tom Woods drive shafts--the bolts were not correct, but they maintained they wood work if I "left the lock washers of, and if I--"; not my style unless last resort. Ended up using the ones I found in the "help" section at Pep Boys! Perfect fit!

xjbubba said:
I needed a u-bolt style that fit a 1330 (standard XJ size) u-joint.

On the matter of u-bolts, finding them turned out to be a PITA!

Standard XJ driveshaft joint is a 1310.

'78-'79 Bronco HP44 yoke uses a 1310 joint w/u-bolts. This is what I used on mine. Getting the u-bolts was easy - I just went into my local NAPA, and asked for the u-bolt kit for a front axle in a '79 Bronco. Think it was like $3.50 and they had a bunch of 'em in stock.

Standard applications pretty much all use strap type yokes. Dana 30 and D44 are the same yoke. Something like that you don't need to spec a year, make and model. If your dealing with a competent axle parts supplier. All you need to say is dana 30 u-bolt yoke, or strap type yoke.

I know that! Sometimes I wonder about my memory. Of course it's a 1310. Sorry for the miss info.

Another thing came up in my search for OEM replacement parts: Not only is there the strap/U-bolt option, there is also a an oil slinger option. According to the parts info I could find (quadratec and Rusty's crown parts search) my 99 needs the one with the oil slinger, (and the older models use the non-oil slinger) which it lists as the bolt/strap set up. The seal then corresponds to this slinger/no slinger set up. How does the U-bolt style yoke fit into this oil slinger/no slinger? Or should I not be concerned about it? :)

In a front axle I don't like the use of an oil sling on the Yoke. Especially in mud. Its not a requirement to have an oil slinger, thats just how jeep did some of them. I really wouldn't worry about the slinger no slinger issue.

Back