• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

break lights not working on 2000

delaminator

NAXJA Forum User
thought that I would find this topic doing a search, but came up empty handed. My jeeps break lights as well as the third light aren't working, but the flashers/directionals do work. Where should I look after finding out the fuses in the passenger kick panel are all good?

thanks jester, that's kind of what I have come up with since OP, is that a auto parts store part or a jeep part? How easy/hard is it to replace?

well, after some testing, it doesn't seem to be the switch. one of the leads from the wire harness always has power, and another only has power when plunger switch is disengaged (sounds like the way it should be)I am at a loss, any other suggestions?

It can't be more basic than switch, bulb or wires. Did you test for power at the brake light bulb sockets.

Inspect the wires and connectors behind the drivers side plastic trim panel in the cargo area. There may be a loose wire harness connector or somebody boogered up the wires trying to add a trailer plug in.

I don't know how much this is going to help but the same thing happened on my 98. I had to jump power between 2 wires on the brake switch. I searched here JU and google and found out which wires it was and viola it's been working ever since.

So i found my old post and all I did was aplly power to the blue pink wire going into the brake switch. I used a t-tap at the switch and an old hot lead from an alarm I had taken out of the dash give it a try I bet it works

It can't be more basic than switch, bulb or wires. Did you test for power at the brake light bulb sockets.

Inspect the wires and connectors behind the drivers side plastic trim panel in the cargo area. There may be a loose wire harness connector or somebody boogered up the wires trying to add a trailer plug in.

I did test for power at the brake light bulb socket and didn't get anything. It was an all of a sudden thing, I was backing up into a parking spot one night and noticed no red reflection on the car parked behind me.

As far as adding/splicing, not sure I want to do that... but it might come down to it. While I was writing this, the connector is getting power but the switch isn't functioning, could it be the switch?

if you can jump the pink/blue wire to the white/tan wire and the lights work, the switch is bad

not neccassarily i only had to replace my switch because I broke it getting it out. Even with a new switch from the stealership it showed the same thing. I'm probably wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if the wiring for the brake lights goes through the door and gets f'ed up like every other wire that goes through it including speaker wires. As for splicing it all you have to do is put a t-tap on it and if you don't like it take the wire off and it wont harm anything

what door are you referring to? I don't understand why the brake light wiring would run through a door. And as far as a t-tap not harming a wire, yes it will. It cuts the outer jacket to give continuity, so it could potentially corrode the wire with moisture, that is the main reason why I don't want to try that. This is my daily driver that I plan to drive into the ground, I don't want to create any problems for the future. I guess that I should just try to put a wire into the connector to jump.

update: I bought a switch on an online auction, and it works. I do travel for work in a company vehicle, so I've only driven it twice since the problem started, so I haven't pissed to many people that have been following me:exclamati

Back