• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel injector O-ring set

GoSlowGetStuck

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Quick question, 89XJ, 4.0L, tearing it apart to replace the exhaust manifold. Got the injectors taken out and decided to order a new o-ring kit from RockAuto. Got it and there's 13 rings total, (6 for the injector-manifold seam, 6 for the injector-rail seam, and 1 for the rail itself). Thing is, they are all brown, whereas the original ones had brown rings for injector-manifold and black rings for injector-rail. FWIW the Hanes manual says an o-ring kit should have 6 brown rings and 7 black rings, and that the black rings are a different composition.

I can't imagine they would have packaged 13 of the brown rings if it wasn't OK to use them, but I don't want to mess this up. Am I best off just to go to the stealership and get a proper O-ring kit? Need to go there to get the fuel supply and return quick connects, anyway...

last time I did this the set I got from advance had 12 black o-rings in it. FWIW, almost all parts store keep these in stock for around $6. the ones for a ford v8 are the same, and cost less

When I went to the dealer, I paid 17 bucks for one kit, and they shipped out 1 o-ring. :badpc:

Went to A-Zone, and picked up a set of 13 for 8 bucks. When I took out the injectors, I noticed signs of leakage from the plastic/metal seam on the body of the injector itself, and decided to change the entire set of injectors anyways, since the 87-90 era injectors are prone to leakage from 150-200k. Its up to you though.

When I went to the dealer, I paid 17 bucks for one kit, and they shipped out 1 o-ring. :badpc:

Went to A-Zone, and picked up a set of 13 for 8 bucks. When I took out the injectors, I noticed signs of leakage from the plastic/metal seam on the body of the injector itself, and decided to change the entire set of injectors anyways. Its up to you though.

That sucks man, some of the part descriptions I had seen online led me to believe I'd only get a single O-ring, so I strayed away from those.

I've read about the injectors themselves leaking. My injectors are the original Bendix ones (XJ has about 210k on it). I wouldn't mind replacing them if the price is right. It seems like the popular thing to do is swap in some Ford injectors? Would these injectors work (they're 19-lb)?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280275159792

Granted they are used, but I'm willing to spend $50 to replace them before any of them fail.

Oh, also, for the fuel supply and return quick connects, am I pretty much forced to get those from a dealer? Can't seem to find them at RockAuto or any of the local parts stores (AutoZone, etc)

Any 18.6 or 19# injector from a Mustang will work, (5.0, 4.6) I just sprung and got new OEM injectors for $297 with o-rings already on them. I figured I wasnt going to bother tearing it apart again, because it would be my luck to rip out the injectors, replace the orings, then have the injector body leak after I put it all back together, and have to rip it back out.

If you havent already, the original injectors are tough to get out, and I wouldnt be suprised if I disturbed something in the metal to plastic seal in some of them. I figured since I was so rough on getting the old ones out, they would be damaged, so I bought new.

**I also did not remove the rail from the soft lines...I left it all connected. The rail had enough play that I didnt bother dealing with removing and replacing quick disconnects.

Here is my original Bendix injector, after 187,726 miles. After I removed them, I noticed the rust on the body, from leaking fuel....it wasnt o-rings leaking like I originally thought, it was the body afterall.

DSC01056.jpg

Went to A-Zone, and picked up a set of 13 for 8 bucks. When I took out the injectors, I noticed signs of leakage from the plastic/metal seam on the body of the injector itself, and decided to change the entire set of injectors anyways, since the 87-90 era injectors are prone to leakage from 150-200k. Its up to you though.
someone at the dealership you went to didnt do their job right they come in sets of 13 for like 12 bucks

someone at the dealership you went to didnt do their job right they come in sets of 13 for like 12 bucks
Hmm. My local dealerships found the part number for "one kit per engine" so we were expecting to find 12-13 o-rings in the package...instead the baggie contained two. That was two different dealerships, even. As if that wasn't bad enough, they charge something like $15/SET for the rings - $90 to re-do an entire injector rail!

I felt somewhat lucky to be able to pick them up for "only" $9/set...local parts stores couldn't find them at all. :mad:

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Hmm. My local dealerships found the part number for "one kit per engine" so we were expecting to find 12-13 o-rings in the package...instead the baggie contained two. That was two different dealerships, even. As if that wasn't bad enough, they charge something like $15/SET for the rings - $90 to re-do an entire injector rail!

I felt somewhat lucky to be able to pick them up for "only" $9/set...local parts stores couldn't find them at all. :mad:

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Dealership woes... I broke the exciter wire going to the alternator on my 99 Trans Am and had to go to a dealer to get the little 4-wire weatherproof wiring harness. Took the guy about 30 minutes just to FIND what I was talking about, and then they wanted $42 for one! I don't know who sets the prices on these parts but I'd like to know how they sleep at night...

i'm halfway through dealing with the same thing as go slow. but with these o-rings (all brown) the fuel rail wont fit. I'm going to try the oil trick. Any other ideas though, cuz i don't actually think its going to work...

Put the o-rings on the injectors, put the oiled injectors in the rail, and push the whole assembly into the manifold. Pushing rail onto injectors can tear the o-rings.

Jim

I always used Vaseline, has worked well for me. I also cleaned a little of the scale (oxidation) and other junk out of the injector wells. Used a vacuum cleaner and a round brush. The vacuum cleaner is to help keep junk from falling into the wrong places.

thanks guys, i cleaned em pretty well, and didn't think of the vacuum. next time. i got it on in the opposite way you recommended yucca, only driven a couple miles so far. maybe I'll be parking her and replace those again soon eh?
Thanks again

If you tore the rings you'd know pretty quickly, like shortly after pressurizing the fuel rail. That's how I noticed I tore ahem...several.

8Mud, thanks for the reminder - I forgot about cleaning out the crusties. Used a q-tip dipped on motor oil to lube that up after cleaning out the bores.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back