• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Console

SuperRoo

NAXJA Forum User
:DWell I finally landed myself the proverbial hen's tooth (at least over here in the UK) a roof console for my '88 model off ebay...and yes, I am aware they were not an option for this year.
DSCN1021.jpg

I believe from my research (found so much info') it could be from around 1993, there's no big chrysler tag as some websites claim should be on, but there is a small green tag with 012893 printed on it, - "28-01-93" maybe?
DSCN1023.jpg

I'm pretty confident in being able to install it and wiring up the temp gauge. But obviously I do have a few questions. 1) I read that on later jeeps there is a standard plug from the dome light that plugs straight in to work the lights. On this one all I see is a plug for the front (temp, etc) and one in the middle for the infra-red locks
DSCN1025.jpg

Above underside of front lights , Below underside of rear lights
DSCN1026.jpg

2) If somone could give me a site so I could order the brackets from the dealer and maybe the front plug it would be really appreciated.
The guy I bought it off said it was complete, but on investigation he reckons it was the console itself (wiring, bulbs etc) he was talking about:bawl:
and yes, I will be recovering it so it matches my roof

They made 97+ consoles. I saw a few at the U pull it a while ago. They acually look a little nicer then the older ones. I may have an extra wiring harness that goes down the A-pilar if you need it.

Edit: Never mind the first part I thougt you said 98.

I'm pretty confident in being able to install it and wiring up the temp gauge. But obviously I do have a few questions. 1) I read that on later jeeps there is a standard plug from the dome light that plugs straight in to work the lights. On this one all I see is a plug for the front (temp, etc) and one in the middle for the infra-red locks
DSCN1025.jpg
The plug on the left has the power coming in for the overhead lights as well. There have been a couple of writeups on here that show the pinout for the overhead console and that may help.

Good luck finding parts through a dealer since the newest of that style is 13 years old (1996 model year). You may have better luck getting parts out of a parted-out XJ on here.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Does anyone know if the rear bracket from a later xj or even a zj would fit the earlier model?
It seems the front is totally different to the later ones, but I found the later rear brackets are still available.

Back