• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help me with my clutch problem!!!!

iroll919

NAXJA Forum User
i was leaving work today and everything seemed normal as i was leaving the parking lot

then i turned out onto the main street i shifted through first and second just like normal but then i pushed the clutch in to shift into 3rd and it lost all pressure and just sunk to the floor at this point im stuck in the middle of the road and i cant move im pressing up and down on the clutch pedal and not getting any response out of it and then it gets stuck like half way so now it feels like it has pressure but just stops like 1/3 of the way down i would normally push it

does anybody have any ideas??

i noticed a wet spot in the road right before i was about to get towed away and stuck my finger in it to smell it but my nose is clogged i assume it came out of my jeep because there were no other cars around especially in the median but idk

and the last thing when i took the cap off the resevoir i noticed little white things floating around inside of it this cant be normal

can somebody please help me!!
BTW its a 1998 sport
thanks

I got the SAME exact problem. Clutch pedal went to the floor, and then ended up binding up like something is caught. Its a 98, 5-speed, ax-15, 101k mi, 3.07 gears, dana 30 (front) Chrysler 8.25 (rear). Please let me know what the best quality replacement parts are and what they are. Thanks

I have an 89 and my slave cylinder just went out today, dripping fluid out of my bellhousing. pop the cap to the res off give it a few pumps, see if pressure builds back up. If not, probably slave cylinder.

I would replace that and the master right away. The napa replacments shouldnt total more than 200. The slave is very easy to swap. The master has one bolt on the fire wall and one bolt on the inside of cabin, which is a bitch to get at. Probabaly takes as much time to bleed as it will to change the parts.

Well to follow up on MY clutch problem. my master and slave are both in working order. I pulled off the slave from the bell housing to see whats up. Well come to find out that the piston on the slave is all hung up behind the fork. The fork feels and looks as if it has come unhinged from the pilot shaft, and is just clanking around in there loose like. The tranny needs to be dropped and clutch, and other parts inside replaced. Any good suggestions on the best clutch to buy equal too or better than OEM mopar? Is autozone good?

Ya know, people keep saying that about NAPA. My experience is pretty much the opposite. At least, with the NAPA in my home town, run by the biggest thieves around.

AZ sells Luk brand clutches, which IIRC, are the OEM supplier. I'd think about replacing the flywheel as well.

thanks yeah sounds like LUk over in the wrangler section is the way to go. Anyways got into tearing out the tranny for inspection and got all disconnected and unbolted, but the tranny and engine will not split. We have gotten the (aluminum like sleeves to come apart at the edges were it meets. But it feels like its getting hung up on the splines/clutch area. Back and forth we have tried prying and moving the two halfs up and down with no luck. Any idea on what to do to get them seperated? Thanks

Are you talking about where the bell housing meets the engine? Not sure what you mean by 2 halves. Probably just word confusion on my part. The line where the bell housing and transmission come off is perpendicualr to the driveshaft right? Sorry for sounding stupid, but when you say halves, I just want to make sure you aren't splitting the transmission. Not sure what the sleeves are either. Any chance for a picture?

To follow up. I got the trans and engine seperated. I now have access to my clutch and components. Turns out the return spring ( very light duty) that connects the throwout bearing with the clutch fork was broken. Resulting in clutch release and engagement problems. ANY PARTS TO REPLACE other than the clutch and the spring to worry about? What other parts do you recommend replacing while in there. Thanks

If you have the internal slave cylinder, think about replacing that, but if you have the spring and fork, you probably have the external, which can be replaced any time. Probably replace the throw-out bearing. If the flywheel is blueish or has small checked cracking, replace that. Otherwise rough it up with sandpaper before putting the new clutch on.

He said it was a 98, it's got an external slave.

Unless the clutch is darned near new, I'd think about putting in a new clutch and pressure plate, as well as a throw out bearing. It's just enough of a pain to pull the transmission back, I'd rather just put the new parts in while it's apart.

Back