• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery Problems

k.smith904

NAXJA Forum User
After my heep being down for a while, I'm starting to think the reason it doesn't start is one of three things:

1. Battery
2. Alternator
3. Short (somewhere)

It seems that when I get it jumped, it will run just fine. Today I got a friend to jump me, let my battery charge for about 2 min, then I cranked it. Started right up. I revved the engine and everything seemed to be in order. Then after idling for about 20-30 seconds, it died out. After cleaning some sensors and connectors for a few hours, I tried to crank it again and my battery was completely dead. I'm wondering why this is. Do I have a short somewhere or is my battery just not holding a charge?

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
After my heep being down for a while, I'm starting to think the reason it doesn't start is one of three things:

1. Battery
2. Alternator
3. Short (somewhere)

It seems that when I get it jumped, it will run just fine. Today I got a friend to jump me, let my battery charge for about 2 min, then I cranked it. Started right up. I revved the engine and everything seemed to be in order. Then after idling for about 20-30 seconds, it died out. After cleaning some sensors and connectors for a few hours, I tried to crank it again and my battery was completely dead. I'm wondering why this is. Do I have a short somewhere or is my battery just not holding a charge?

TIA

I just answered another post - last night, in fact - detailing how to check various components of your charging system. Use the "Advanced Search" function, look for stuff I've put up in the last day or so, and I'm fairly sure it was on OEM Tech. That should give you a way to proceed.

Perhaps take the battery somewhere that will do a load test?
However, you may not get an accurate reading if you have an Optima type battery.
Check and clean the battery terminals and connectors.

Clean your cables.. Remove your battery an install your friends, start an see if that helps...How old is your batt? Did you try to charge it over night? HTH

Could easily be the battery itself. Get it LOAD TESTED. Would only cost a few bucks and quite a few places will test your battery for free in the hopes of selling you a new one should you need it.

Back