• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pressure tech queston

Wallymander

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, i never new that oil pressure was created by the mains and parts other than the pump, i thought it was all the oil pump.
That aside, i dropped the pan and all involved to change my RMS. Afterwards
i had a problem with the oil pressure dropping after a few mins of running and in a higher RPM the idiot light came on. I also heard the lifters begin rattling.
I got underneath the J a few mins ago and realized the gasket (rubber gasket)
was protuding from the rear, it hadnt lined up "DOH" !!!
That explains the fact had a leak. My question is suppose is this, would a break in the oil pan gasket be enough to change the pressure even with proper oil level? Is there an "ambient pressure" in the Crankcase that a break n the seal could affect?
A leak can of course cause a drop in the oil level, which would of course make for lower pressure after a certain amount leaked out. Im going to get underneath and line that gakset up correctly in a few mins, just curious about the oil pressure theory.
ALSO, opinoins on STP filters?

Back