• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'93 Cherokee odd steering problem

nasoj007

NAXJA Forum User
Hi I have a '93 XJ with a strange steering issue. When I turn the wheel I encounter varying resistance, it turns without much effort for about 1/8 of a turn and the gets stiff. If I turn harder and get past the stiff spot it will turn easily for another 1/8 of a turn and then rinse and repeat. The problem seems more pronounced when I turn left and lessens as everything warms up a bit.

I don't seem to have any 'death wobble' but I've only traveled at 80-100kph for short distances. Also the wheel doesn't seem to want to return to center without my assistance. At times it seems like the Jeep will start to drift to one side or the other without my input but this could just be me not being experienced with jeeps (the brakes scared the hell out of me my first panic stop, lol).

Any ideas on what might be causing this? I've read about 'jerky' steering but this seems different, the action is fairly smooth I just have to muscle it past certain points.

Thanks.

P.S. I have a 1993 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 4.0L HO, 5spd, 4 door with 235/75r15's.

Power steering pump may be going out.

I had similar symptoms and just swapped out the pump (and box for good measure) last weekend. Steering is great now.

Before you go too far, make sure the belt is really good and tight, because it can slip without squealing sometimes, and that will be the way it behaves when it does.

However, you should also make sure there isn't some mechanical problem. It might be wise to jack up the front wheels and see how the steering behaves when there's no load. If it's smooth and works fine then, you can pretty much bet that the problem involves the power steering boost. If it still misbehaves, you'd better get to the bottom of it soon, because something dangerous is going on.

has it been in 4wheel drive lately could it be the hubs are locked in put it in 4 wheel drive forward straight ahead maybe 20 feet then put it back in 2wd hi while still moving forward stop and reverse direction another 20 or 30 feet than see if that made any differance

Thanks for all the tips (even the check the fluid one :D). It's been piss pouring rain here since I posted this and I don't have access to a garage so I haven't been able to check anything yet. It's pretty nice out today so I'm going to check a few things out later.
Matthew I think you may be on to something with the belt. When I got this Jeep the alternator was seized solid. I replaced the alternator but reused the belt (it looked OK). Now I'm thinking that the belt is in worse shape than I thought and might be slipping.
kennzz05 I haven't been offroading with it but I have tried to put it in 4wheel drive a couple of times. My 4x4 light doesn't come on so I was trying to see if it was actually engaging or not (I'm still not 100% sure). I don't have an owners manual so can I engage 4 wheel high while moving and what is the procedure (ie: does the trans have to be in gear or neutral or do I just depress the clutch)?
Thanks again.

P.S. I think I found the answer my 4 whell drive question.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips (even the check the fluid one :D). It's been piss pouring rain here since I posted this and I don't have access to a garage so I haven't been able to check anything yet. It's pretty nice out today so I'm going to check a few things out later.
Matthew I think you may be on to something with the belt. When I got this Jeep the alternator was seized solid. I replaced the alternator but reused the belt (it looked OK). Now I'm thinking that the belt is in worse shape than I thought and might be slipping.
kennzz05 I haven't been offroading with it but I have tried to put it in 4wheel drive a couple of times. My 4x4 light doesn't come on so I was trying to see if it was actually engaging or not (I'm still not 100% sure). I don't have an owners manual so can I engage 4 wheel high while moving and what is the procedure (ie: does the trans have to be in gear or neutral or do I just depress the clutch)?
Thanks again.

P.S. I think I found the answer my 4 whell drive question.
Iif you're not sure you've found the answer to your 4wd question, here it is anyway: shift on the fly, in gear or out, no clutch required, just as long as you're not already spinning any wheels. If you're losing traction you'll have to back off the accelerator before engaging.

The serpentine belt in the XJ must be very tight. It's hard to judge this by eye, but there is a little tensioner sold by NAPA called a "Krikit 2" for something in the 12-15 buck range which helps. You'll likely have to order it, and you may have to convince the counter person that such a thing exists. It does. Gates makes it. As a starting point, though, take hold of the longest span of belt you can find between pulleys, and twist it. It should be just possible to twist it 90 degrees. If it goes further without excessive force, you should tighten.

Naso,

I would bet your problem is a frozen U-joint on the steering shaft. I had that same problem about a year ago and couldn't track down the problem. I removed the shaft and noticed one of the U-joints would only move in one axis, the other direction was frozen. $15 at the salvage yard and I was back running with smooth steering again. The entire shaft has to be replaed, they dont make replacement U-joints for that part. At least not that I could find. Let me know if you have any more questions about it.

I hope this helps.

Ed

Steering shaft grommets around the u-joints are probably shot ... if the oil in pump was low or was on its way out, you'd probably feel or hear a growling sound.

A quick check is while sitting idle, turn the steering wheel full lock in both directons, multiple times. If the steering wheel loses its center and is off ~1/32 turn, then its the shaft.

I had the shaft replaced at 90K miles on my '91.

Hi guys here's an update.
I checked the fluid and it's full. I also tightened the belt as it didn't look bad. I tried to replace it but my power steering pump will tighten but not loosen :confused: and last time it took 2 sets of hands to do my AC compressor removal method. I checked the 4wheel drive and it is definitely not engaged. The U-joints on the steering shaft look like they've seem better days so that's probably the next part to go.
Other than that I've been working till dark most days and the other days are raining or sub-zero so I haven't had a chance to check anything else. I'm going to see if I can put it on my uncles hoist tomorrow or Thursday to try to track the problem down.

Here's a few things I've noticed.
1. The wandering was definitely my bad as I can let go of the wheel and the Jeep travels straight (if the road co-operates).
2. My steering wheel is off center, to the left about 30ish degrees.
3. Today after I was driving for about 15-20mins the steering effort was completely gone, it was working like a dream. I stopped for 10-15mins to eat and when I started the Jeep again it was still working great(there was maybe a little more effort required but no jerking). I stopped again a few minutes later, this time for maybe 5mins, and when I started the Jeep again the same old problem was back in full force:huh:.
4. When I turn to the left there is a slight rumbling noise that I've been assuming is a bad wheel bearing. It sounds just like it and it's only when I turn left. I still think it is but the more info I can give the better the more accurate the suggestions will be.
5. The last thing I've noticed is there is a light ticking noise that seems to be coming from the drivers side wheel area. It's very light and could also be related to a wheel bearing issue but it may be the axle U-joint on that side(it's supposed to be new but it doesn't look it). Would a bad U-joint affect the steering in this way?

Again I really appreciate everyone's suggestions and I will be investigating each one until I find the problem.

Back