• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JY rear axle ID help

hawk_sixsix

NAXJA Forum User
Picked up a rear axle from the JY today. Chrysler 8.25 rear, 3.07 ratio for my '97 XJ 5spd. JY claimed it was out of a '98; paint markings say "92 Cher". Casting number is 52069336 -- I can't find it online anywhere.

What IS this thing???:badpc:

Pull an axle & count the splines. You should pull the cover to inspect it anyway. That won't tell you what year it is, but it will let you know if it's early or late model. The wrecking yard guys don't get it. they know it'll go right in place & work fine so they won't care how many splines the axles have. If it says "92 Cher" I'll bet that's what it's out of. Sometimes auto wreckers can be real shysters.

If you search this Mopar catalog: http://www.scribd.com/doc/2678155/Jeep-1994-1996-MOPAR-Parts-Catalog , that BOM comes up to a 8.25, BUT it shows a 3.55 ratio.

Simple test, spin the axle shaft one rotation and count the number of times the pinion rotates. 3 rotations = 3.07. 3 1/2 rotations = 3.55. Make sure it matches the front before throwing it in. As said above, pull the cover, inspect and count the splines also.

Personally, if it is 3.55s, I'd find a matching front, since that will give you more usable power with the 5 speed, especially if you have larger tires.

If you search this Mopar catalog: http://www.scribd.com/doc/2678155/Jeep-1994-1996-MOPAR-Parts-Catalog , that BOM comes up to a 8.25, BUT it shows a 3.55 ratio.

Simple test, spin the axle shaft one rotation and count the number of times the pinion rotates. 3 rotations = 3.07. 3 1/2 rotations = 3.55. Make sure it matches the front before throwing it in. As said above, pull the cover, inspect and count the splines also.

The tag hanging off one of the bolts is stamped 3.07. Which is nice. Here's the funny thing -- I did spin the axle once around and the pinion rotated about 1-1/2 times. Now that can't be right. TWO axle rotations gave me *about* 3-1/8th. I'm guessing this has something to do with the open rear? My background is in GM Positraction rears where ONE axle rotation gave me 3 or 4 rotations at the driveshaft.

But I digress. I'm really trying to find out if this is a pre or post 97 axle. It's no longer in my posession; it's at the shop. If it comes down to it I'll go down there and pull axles / count splines; I was hoping someone on here could ID it by the numbers.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Which is nice. Here's the funny thing -- I did spin the axle once around and the pinion rotated about 1-1/2 times. Now that can't be right. TWO axle rotations gave me *about* 3-1/8th. I'm guessing this has something to do with the open rear? My background is in GM Positraction rears where ONE axle rotation gave me 3 or 4 rotations at the driveshaft.

I'd say you answered that problem yourself. If the axle is unlocked, every turn you complete of one tire, the other tire completes in the other direction...
chalk one tire, try again.

Back