• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo Gauge Bouncing?

This happened in my '87. I had a bent speedo cable.

Most likely the speedo cable is not fully engaged. It needs to 'click' in.

Mine did the same thing, bounced up to about 45 when the speedo cable tip seemed to elongate and slide into the square hole.

It might be the unit you swapped in. I had the same problem with my Ramchager & after trying a new cable with no sucess I installed another speedo & that cured it. If anyone knows otherwise I'd like to hear about it. My 88s speedo will bounce & make noise from 15 to 40 mph, but only intermitently. About the time I'm ready to fix it, it goes away for weeks. It would probably help to know the year of your Jeep, around 90/91 the speedos went electronic, didn't they?

Last edited:
The speedo cable in these rigs is more finicky then most. The cable needs to be routed with as few bends as possible from the transfer case.

They are also easy to bend-even a slight bend will cause gauge wobble- and I'm guessing when you swapped in your new cluster you tweaked the cable slightly.

FWIW, I've put new speedo cables on before and have never been able to totally eliminate the wobble.

Yeah post up your year. I think they used mechanical's up until '91.

Mine used to work sporadically. Ended up being the speedo gear had stripped from lack of fluid, so make sure you check the t-case level ASAP.

Its a 90, last of the speedo cable. My gear in the transfer case is fine, pulled it just to check it. Thought it was the new speedo gauge so i switched it with the previous one that I know works. Stops bouncing after about 55 or 60 mph.

Any idea where I can get a new one? The junkyard around here doesn't have anymore cables that are any good.

$tealer......

You can try an online parts house if you have Cruise Control, if you have a one piece cable (W/O CC) you may have to go to the dealer.

When my old cable broke, off to the $tealer I ended up going......

Back