• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

knock out!!

anewlife84

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 95 xj and when i put the transfer case in 4lo and go up anything somewhat challenging it pops out of gear. now when i put the transer case in 4hi i can do the obsticle. does anyone know what could be wrong with it? could it be a linkage problem?

Sounds like it is not going in all the way, have you lubed the linkages lately ? Does it feel like it goes in all the way ? check your transmission mount on the back of the cross member, if thats shot it could be allowing the tranny and transfer case to move around, same with motor mounts.

Mine did the same thing after installing a t-case drop. If you put the t-case selector in 4-low then get under the jeep and loosen the nut on the linkage, you can manually put the t-case in 4-low and tighten the nut. Then just ensure it is in the right position and you are good to go!

ok i got under there and you know im pretty mechanicallly inclined and good with 4x4s and i adjusted the linkage and the problem still persists. it klunks acouple of times and then pops out of 4lo. could my tcase be bad on the low side?

Put it in 4lo and disconnect the linkage, then see if it pops out, if it stays in then I'd be looking at the mounts. The tranny transfer case could be moving around.

could this be that my chain is stretched out? and how would check this? or would it be that there is a gear missin a tooth somwhere? please help me!

If your chain or sprockets were messed up, it would be an issue in high or low. I'm with everyone else. It's not going all the way into 4lo, and when torque is applied, it pops back out.

RichP has a foolproof way to check it for sure.

well i tries what they have been telling me by taking the linkage off and shifting it that way and suprise suprise, it still pops out of 4lo. anyone have anymore ideas. please help a poor boy im desperate. like i asked before could my chain be stretched?

The info you got so far is good info and is usually the problem. I don't think it's a stretched chain - That will allow the chain to ratchet on the gears, but stays in 4-wheel. When the chain slips on the gears it sounds like the transfer case is comming apart. The bad news is it time to open the case and see what's the problem, or look for a new t-case. Good Luck

Woody

Kinda sounds like bad range fork pads to me. Not getting all the throw out of the fork cause the pads are broken or missing. That wouldn't be anything too serious. Of course the fork could be bent too, or the internal linkage, or ... The list goes on. Not much more can be told without pulling the case and splitting it.

No fear...the 231 is a very easy case to work on. It's daunting to open it up for the first time...but trust me, it's very self explanatory once you are in there. Good time to do an SYE and a 2lo...the 2 low will cure the shift fork issues if that's the deal.

Back