• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash lights out

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
My dash lights are dead. I need to test for a short. Does anyone know what wire feeds the lights? Is it possible to pull the instrument panel apart enough to get to bulbs?

have you checked/tested the fuses, bulb, and test the head light switch?

why do you think its a short? is it blowing a fuse when you pull the headlight switch

My dash lights are dead. I need to test for a short. Does anyone know what wire feeds the lights? Is it possible to pull the instrument panel apart enough to get to bulbs?
its easy enough to get the cluster out. there are a couple screws above the cluster, one above the headlights switch, and one above the cig lighter. that is on a pre 97... pop off the big plastic trim piece that covers most of the dash. there are 5 or 6 screws holding the cluster in, and the bulbs are accesible from the back of the cluster. it shouldnt take more than 10 mins or so to get the gauge cluster out.

usually when all the interior lights go out at the same time its the headlight switch.

I have the same problem working on day out the next. I removed the cluster didn't see any bulbs burned or any boards burned out so I put it back and have been driving like that since. If you figure anything out let me know. Thanks

problem i had with my 89 was that when i lost dash lights, it also lost the rear driving(red) lights. it was from a bad connection in the fuse block from hydraulic fluid(clutch master leak).

Last edited:
Thanks all. I've done all the normal things already. I'm thinking it is the headlight switch but I almost never drive the XJ at night and all I want to do is micky mouse enough light to see the speedo on the occasional outing. There is a short because as soon as I put in a fuse it blows. What I'm trying to do is find the feed wire to the lights from the fuse panel. Then I'll cut it and put a switch from a hot so I can manually turn on the dask lights. I too had the running lights out but that was a fuse. Once I fixed that fuse and left the dash fuse out I'm OK but still no dash lights. I've been thinking I'll just buy some of those chemical glow sticks and lay it in the panel for the three times a winter I drive it after dark!

they make lights that plug in the cig lighter and are like tiny spotlights useing double stick tape to mount them i know apc makes some if you wanna search online and come in cool colors about 10 bucks

Back