• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch recommendations?

HamHay

NAXJA Forum User
Hey. It's been a while....

Did an extensive search on the subject before posting this, I'll be brief.

I tow a 3200lb stump grinder with my '89 MJ, 4x4, 4.0, BA 10/5 (75K). Often backing up over curbs, decent inclines, and other assorted backing and jacking to get the machine over the stumps. Lots of clutch work in all transfer case ranges. Smoking the disc lately and getting chatter at take-off even when unladen.

Am I better off replacing the clutch with an OEM type, letting it be the weak link and burn up, before popping u-joints and toasting this light duty tranny? Or should I go with a heavier duty arrangement?

Also, does anyone know whether the LuK Pro Gold series is a double friction clutch like a Centerforce, or is it just a beefier version of a traditional clutch?

Thanks for any info.

Centerforce clutches only really get the higher clamping force at high RPMs. Not really that much better at low speeds.

I put a Luk Gold in my XJ several years ago, but don't remember any of the friction material details.

I ignored the advice of a few here and went with the Centerforce, and had problems with the weights. When warm, they would not return from the 'deployed' position. It made it difficult to shift, almost impossible to engage first from a dead stop.
Always worked good starting out in the morning, only to piss me off down the road. It did however work normally for the first few weeks installed.

Go with the basic factory(OEM) unit, it's more than good enough for the 4.0.

Back