• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help figuring out where this vibration is coming from

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a 97 XJ auto I6 4x4 with 161,XXX miles on it with a 3.5 inch lift and 31s. I have developed a vibration in the jeep most noticeable during quick deceleration often seen from slowing down at 45 MPH. I can feel lit through the jeep and in the brake pedal. The rear driveshaft has new u-joints around 3 months old, front driveshaft was removed the other day due to the "angry sparrows" sound coming from the worn out CV, both the front wheel bearings have been replaced in the past but that was over 3 years ago however I am not getting the same symptoms for that that I have had in the past. The front brakes were replaced new rotors and duralast gold pads back in the spring. Back brakes were replaced 3 years ago new shoes and drums. tires and wheels were just rotated and balanced 2 weeks ago. I did replace the front brake hoses with the front 90' chevy 1500 2wd brake hoses and I was pretty sure I bleed them good but I dont know if this could be caused by air in the lines. I did have the front driver side axle shaft u-joint replaced 3 years ago along with the wheel bearing but the shop used no name crap Japanese u-joints which they also put in the rear driveshaft that went bad already so I don't know if that could be causing my problem. Any ideas guys?

sounds like a problem i had with my tires because they were cupping. Did they rotate the tires front to back or from driver side to pass side? if its front to back its probably the tires.

Just my $.02

make sure the rear brakes are adjusted proporly, the fronts might be doing all the work. i adjust the rear brakes twice a year because the self adjuster dont always adjust.

also check the front pads, duralast pads arnt the best pads.

I am pretty sure they did the rear to the front but opposite sides and the fronts straight back when they rotated them I bought my tires at Discount Tire and they know their stuff pretty well atleast at the one by my house. I havent adjusted my rear brakes in a while now that I think about it so I'll definitely give that a try and I'll check my pads and see if they are ok.

Thanks for the suggestions guys and if there is anything anyone else can think of then please let me know I don't want anything to go unchecked that it might be.

Back