• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing carpet, interior squeeks?

emr1101

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone replaced ALL of the carpet in their XJ? Like removed every interior body molding and seats and put in new carpet? I am considering this as mine is messed up and i think may have a wee bit of mildew. I know lots of guys do this to repair rust, but has anyone done it with the mind set of making their XJ a nice daily driver? It seems most who have done it just rhino lined it afterwords, i dont want to do that. Also, i figured if i did this i could add foam padding here or there to make it so that my interior plastic moldings dont squeek and stuff when i turn, as they often do. any help?

if they have mildew, you need to find the leak before you put in a new carpet and foam. quadratech might sell replacement carpet.

X2 on that and they do i think they also make some rubber liner custom also

yeah, well its from my door seals but im fixing those too. I konw where to get the carpet, just curious as to the difficulty. No idea what ill do about hte squeekyness though, seems to be a problem you cant avoid

The carpet is easy to replace pull all the lower panels’, seats, center console and it lifts out. New carpet is basically the same except you have to cut some holes in it. Make sure you have all the leaks fixed or your new carpet or it will be moldy too. I had leaks from the heater box drain, steering column, windshield, rear window seal, wing windows, rack, floor plugs, and replaced the hatch and door seals for good measure. For the squeaks I haven't tried it yet but I'm thinking about sticking some adhesive backed felt in the problem areas.

I'm getting ready to replace the carpet in my 97 XJ, and just the other day I got the replacement from a 00 out of a boneyard for 200 bucks and it's like new. Not bad for OEM carpet, every aftermarket carpet I have dealt with was crap and never fit right, so I always try to get OEM first and aftermarket is a last resort.

Taking it out was easy depending on your wrenching skills. All the seats come out, and also the console. The plastic panels along the foor need to be taken out or at the least loosened so you can pull the carpet from underneath it. One trick that you might want to use is cutting the carpet where the rear belt mounts are otherwise you have to remove the belt mount which is a PITA. The portion that would be cut is under the back seat so it won't matter. Installation is reverse of removal obviously, not much harder, just takes time.

200 bucks for carpet at a j/y sounds high to me considering some places advertise motors for 150 cant imagine what they would want for a leather interior

200 bucks for carpet at a j/y sounds high to me considering some places advertise motors for 150 cant imagine what they would want for a leather interior

Well considering the prices and crappy fit of aftermarket carpets (with no padding) I think it was a good deal. They also threw in the factory all weather mats, which is 60 bucks right there. Like I said, the carpet is like new, I can't imagine how much a replacement from the dealer would cost. You really cant beat OEM fit and quality when it comes to carpet. I was also able to get all the seats, console, E-brake, full size spare with brand new tire, and a crapload of hardware for another $300.

Back