• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will not turn over

hammerhead

NAXJA Forum User
Have had this problem for the last couple weeks, my 92 4.0 4 speed Laredo would not crank over at the gas station/ no sound under the hood like solenoid kicking in at all. I got it pulled home and tried crossing it over with a screw driver at the starter and all it does is give a little spark ,nothing else, so I figured it is the solenoid so I installed a new one on the starter still the same thing, nothing. When I turn the key over My brake warning light light on the dash lights up and my temp gauge needle shoots all the way over and the display on my radio blanks out, they go back to normal the second I release the key.
I took the starter back off and took it in and had it tested and it cranked over fine on their machine, twice .Brought it back home put it back on and it started the Jeep right up ! Shut it off and it wouldn't crank again 2 days ago went out and it started like normal, started and stopped it sevral times and drove it all day then stopped to get gas , back to the same old CRAP ,lucky that station is on a hill ,she starts just fine when I pop the clutch on a roll!! Is there a relay I can replace??

Last edited:
yea there is a starter relay you could look into, i dont know much about it though. do a search for the symptoms your having. im sure there is a handfull of threads on this topic even within the next pages here in the OEM section

also you could do a search for NSS (Neutral safety switch) this may be the culprit since you have already checked the starter..
i have had the same symptoms in my 96 4.0 HO and ill be cleaning my NSS this weekend.

there is a number of great writeups about
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techartic...eep_cherokee_neutral_safety_switch/index.html

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm

Last edited:
my starter just started doing the same thing. Wouldn't turn over. Took off the starter, cleaned it up nice, tested it worked fine. Put back on Jeep, first time with key didn't work. Jumped with screwdriver, started right up. Works with the key for now. I'm hoping it stays working!

I just went out an hour ago and tapped the starter with a hammer ,,it started right up twice! gonna go check it again and see if it will work by crossing it over now.

sorry I got a 5 speed manual not a 4 speed my fault.

:doh: my bad, guess i didnt read carefully enough
when this happened on my 2001 4.0 5spd i replaced the entire starter and it was fine. gotta love how you can just pop the clutch to get going

Mine started doing the same thing. I replaced the starter... did it again... then I noticed the OLD battery cables and connecters. The negative side was wiggling around and couldn't be tightened anymore. I replace the cables and connectors and didn't have the problem again. Somewhere in my garage I should have a starter that still works.

Back