• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Post-election question for military members

RTicUL8

NAXJA Forum User
What are people saying?

Is there talk of a mass-exodus from military service?

I haven't heard much of anything.

But then he hasn't ever said much about the military, yea the normal I support the troops, they are our greatest national asset. Same thing you hear from all politicians.

He ran on a base of promising to pull troops out of Iraq, he will probably draw down the troop strength but I don't think he will pull all the troops out like he said.

I don't know, as long as out budgets don't get changed to much its probably not going to change much. I started under Clinton, then Bush and I never really noticed that much of a difference. But only time will tell.

I hear its nice in Pakistan

Only comment I heard was I hope my retirement doesn't get redistributed. For the most part the folks in my office know we have a job to do and that's what is important.

the scare tactic around here was that there is already a plan to reduce military spending by almost 25%, but you see where that got us-- blue state for the first time I can remember. I can't see much growth in the near future, but if we're really going to find Bin Laden and renew the fight in Afganistan, there can't be anywhere near a 25% cut.

The danger is he will do a draw down and American casualties will go up. That worries me, however my thought is that when he starts getting briefed on the real world situation, the real classified scare the piss out of you stuff, he's going to have to figure out how to backpedal on par with an Olympic bicycle racing gold medal winner.

The danger is he will do a draw down and American casualties will go up. That worries me, however my thought is that when he starts getting briefed on the real world situation, the real classified scare the piss out of you stuff, he's going to have to figure out how to backpedal on par with an Olympic bicycle racing gold medal winner.

Sorry to disappoint you but so far Obama's only response to his Intelligence reports is to say the system needs updating, aka teardown, destroy, remove our intelligence aka Clinton. As for the military spending cut, it will happen, but I estimate it to be probably 10%. Either way, given all the states I've been to recently for work (IL, IA, VA, NC, TN, AZ, WV), the only jobs left are small businesses (half were just about closed up from what I could see) and military/fed government. As for people who think that the military/fed civilian employee is a guaranteed job, here's some reality for you, the Government term for a layoff is a RIF (reduction in force) It happened back in the early/mid 90's when Clinton cut the military damn near in half, talking to my co-workers there was an extremely nervous atmosphere on my post (I work in northern NJ), given those cuts there was about a 10 year highering freeze, now there is a new one instituted for this year (not a good sign). So, all I can do is hope that the Republican minority fights ANY military spending cut…

Rich,

Like this

and this

You are correct about the briefing. I believe he already got a piece of the trouble we are up against. His campaign demeanor changed after a visit to the White House just after the DNC.

Yeah, I'm not much for keeping up on news or political babbling, but from what I hear nobody's happy, and they don't expect good things to come, but there's no talk of mass-exodus, I don't think I've heard anyone talk of leaving cause of it.

Rich,

Like this

and this

You are correct about the briefing. I believe he already got a piece of the trouble we are up against. His campaign demeanor changed after a visit to the White House just after the DNC.

Yup, I been to one of those incoming command briefings at cincpac. Had to sit through the whole thing with the admiral I worked for with two file cabinets of pink paper and above to be produced as needed, scared the crap out of me listening to the other services and intel people.
I didn't even want to know the material discussed when the room was cleared of everyone below 3 stars to brief the incoming 4 star.

I'm currently sitting at a little patrol base in the middle of Iraq. Our unit just got here at the beginning of the month and we all know that we still have 12 months to serve over here. So far about the only talk that I've been hearing is "let's sit back and see where this thing takes us!"

If you didn't see a difference between clinton and bush, you should do some research.

Start with the civilian-military pay gap. Then look into BAH rates. Then check out some of the operating budgets. Ever been told not to order parts for your helicopters until the new fiscal year? I have. And it was July.

I remember seeing some statistic 10 years ago about 40 or 50 percent of military members with dependents who rated food stamps but were too proud to take them. Things sure have changed.

That being said, I was one of the people who turned Ohio blue. I just don't have any faith in an 80 year old man and his beauty pageant running mate making decisions any differently than Bush did and I don't agree with the occupation of Iraq. So I voted the other way.

My brother in law is in the Marines and said the only thing goiung around is" damn, now fags will probably be in the military." Semi-sarcastic...

A senior enlisted told me the other day that allot of them where dropping there paperwork. They are all over twenty so they already are eligible for retirement. I haven't heard anything from the junior enlisted. I have less the 3 years left till 20. I will stay longer if the economy is any worse in 2 years. The pays has been pretty good for the last 8 years.

You'd be surprised at all of the 20+ year folks who are punching their tickets now....

I know I've seen a TON so far and he hasn't even taken the oath yet!

You'd be surprised at all of the 20+ year folks who are punching their tickets now....

I know I've seen a TON so far and he hasn't even taken the oath yet!

Thats too bad, we need those people in there in case things go wrong.

Back