• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strange hose hanging

LilRhodyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
this mouring i was cleaning a bunch of stuff on the front of the jeep when i saw a hose that comes from the top of my front diff. and starts to bend up to the engine compartment...i think for dshaft got the best of it and tore through the heat shielding around the hose and then cut the hose itself.. i have roughly 10 inches of this hose coming from the cut to the diff and i dont know where the top part goes to.. no air of fluid is coming out... what is this hose and what does it do?

sounds like a breather hose. it keeps normal pressure inside the diff and allows it to "breathe". its probably zap strapped up to your firewall somewhere.

It also keeps the water from sucking in to the diff when you're crossing deep water. The diff cools down and creates a vacuum that would help draw water through the seals.

I agree on the breather hose theory, it runs into the engine compartment and isn't connected to anything, there should be a white "cap" on it.
You can just replace the line with the same diameter vacuum line.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
I agree on the breather hose theory, it runs into the engine compartment and isn't connected to anything, there should be a white "cap" on it.
You can just replace the line with the same diameter vacuum line.

alright that helped i found it its right against the firewall white cap and everything thanks for the help fellas... you think i can order a new one from autozone?

You should have two, one on the firewall for the tranny and transfer case and one near the radiator for the front diff. My front one is outboard of the electric fan. Both have small valves that close when water reaches them.
Mine is a 98 5 speed, an auto might be dfferent.

LilRhodyXJ said:
alright that helped i found it its right against the firewall white cap and everything thanks for the help fellas... you think i can order a new one from autozone?

just make it out of some rubber line......

alright i used some rubber line to make a new one and it worked perfect i tightend it a little more then stock so that my dshaft or u-joint don't consider it a tasty treat again...the only thing i dont have is the heat shielding that they come wrapped with id re use mine but like i said the majority of the bottom of it is chewed to all hell

Just make sure there is enough slack in it at full droop.

what do you mean? i left enough so it has that curve in it that the old one did... its not stright from the d30s nipple to the fire wall but its a good 2" farther away from my dsahft/ujoint

LilRhodyXJ said:
what do you mean? i left enough so it has that curve in it that the old one did... its not stright from the d30s nipple to the fire wall but its a good 2" farther away from my dsahft/ujoint
Leave your hood open, jack up the nose on a floor jack, put two jackstands under the frame rails near the firewall, now take the floor jack over to the passenger side and jack the passenger side wheel up, This will force the driver side down as far as it can go, now check the slack...

LilRhodyXJ said:
ooo sh** i forgot.. its going to pull down when its flexing huh? alright that makes sense thanks a bunch... any ideas on the heat shielding?

Heat shielding from what ? if you route it right I don't see any need for any. I guess if you want you could pick up some of that shielding tube I've seen in the parts racks, I seem to remember seeing it in the Help section, and put that over it.

Back