• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Completly ClueLess on GPSs

BlueCuda

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Everyone,

First off I don't know a damn thing about any kind of GPS that could be used while wheeling. I have used a Garmin road unit that my Wife has but thats it.

With Christmas around the corner i got to thinking about these. I want one I can use in my jeep and map local trails etc. However like I said I don't know squat. Is there a good website to check out or do you guys have some recommendations? Don't want it to cost super mega $$$$ but would like something that isn't tiny and is somewhat easy to use.

Thanks for any info
Clark

For all around use I would recommend a Garmin 60CSx.

Color screen, microSD card memory, downloadable maps from Garmin, autorouting, USB connection to the computer.

I use mine for mapping trails, geoacaching, navigating around town, finding business, public libraries, etc. I used it many times while working away from home. I have used it in South America, Europe and all over here in the US of A.

Color screen, microSD card memory, downloadable maps from Garmin, autorouting, USB connection to the computer.

I use mine for mapping trails, geoacaching, navigating around town, finding business, public libraries, etc. I used it many times while working away from home. I have used it in South America, Europe and all over here in the US of A.

I'll second this recommendation; mine's worked out very well for me over the past couple of years both on-road and off. Thing's tough, too - it took a 20' drop onto rocks without a scratch and keeps right on chugging along. Display is nice and clear, even in sunlight, though it will wash out somewhat in direct light. Sensitivity & selectivity on the receiver are awesome for the price range.

Also, it's definitely worth spending the $75 to add the North American map set for turn-by-turn driving directions. Doesn't do voice prompts, but the warning beeps for upcoming turns actually work suprisingly well, and it does a great job of showing you how and where to make turns. It's also smart enough to be able to navigate off the map - that is, if you've got a stored route that doesn't follow a road or trail that it knows about, it can still follow that route to get you out to or back from wherever it is you're at.

So that recommended model with let me not get quite as lost when wheeling at night? LOL would be nice to save some trails etc. Thanks for all the info.

What kind of maps would I need to start out with?

It would be worth it to find a unit that has high sensitivity. For those times when you are under heavy tree cover. I know it can be an issue where I live.

x2 pleased with mine, does everything I need it to do

Hey Everyone,

First off I don't know a damn thing about any kind of GPS that could be used while wheeling. I have used a Garmin road unit that my Wife has but thats it.

With Christmas around the corner i got to thinking about these. I want one I can use in my jeep and map local trails etc. However like I said I don't know squat. Is there a good website to check out or do you guys have some recommendations? Don't want it to cost super mega $$$$ but would like something that isn't tiny and is somewhat easy to use.

Thanks for any info
Clark

I just checked and it looks like you are some what near a Spotsman's Warehouse. Our local Sprotsman's has a few very educated guys that work in the GPS department. Infact they offer GPS classes after hours. Not sure if that is something you would find at the Ok City Sportsman's or not. But it might be worth at least a phone call. It is allways good to at least get to see a good selection in person before you decide to buy one. Just my 2 centss though.

I was just thinking about going to look at some in person today actually.

We actually don't have a sportsmans here, I am 2 hours away from Oklahoma City.

We have a Bass Pro Shops here i figured they might have some to check out.

Thanks for the reply.

Back