• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiper transmission

Xjcj3a

NAXJA Forum User
92 xj 6 cyl 4x4

the first wiper transmission i had rusted out and broke in 3 places, so i bought one from a u pull it place, last night driving home in down pours the passenger side wiper kept hitting the hood and getting stuck, took the cover off and saw that the passenger side has alot of play in it. looks like the rivets may be loosening.

So a new one from dodge is 215 bucks because they changed the motor around and did some other stuff. im wondering if i can salvage the one i have now, i mean its only taken a year for this one to go bad. can i drill out the rivets and replace with bolts? anyone have this problem before? seems like alot of bad luck.

i replaced the wiper arm linkage bushings in my 89 and it stopped the wipers from going too far. the bushing kit can be found in the HELP section of auto parts store for under $10. never heard of it being called a wiper transmission, maybe im thinking of something different.

I am assuming you mean the rivets that hold the bearings together at the wiper shafts?

Look carefully at the clearance around the rivets when it's mounted. You might have to grind your nuts and bolt heads down to get clearance. You might also be able to peen the current rivets down a little bit to tighten them.

Before going too far, try just changing the position of the wiper arm so it doesn't come down so far. When there's wear on the plastic pivot bushings, you'll find that the arm comes down much further when the windshield is wet than when it's dry, so you have to make sure you compensate. You can replace the bushings as 89XJ suggests. But in the meantime you can usually get away with just changing the position of the wipers, though they'll tend to park high when the windshield is dry.

yeah i had moved the arms up a few times, i read about changing the bushings on here and just did it last night. 5 bucks and the problem is solved.

Back