• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 rear axle 3.08 ring and pinion - Cant find replacement!

hawk_sixsix

NAXJA Forum User
My 97 XJ Sport 5-spd has a Chrysler 8.25 rear with 3.08 (or is it 3.07?) axle ratio. I can't find a replacement ring and pinion set anywhere. I've been making calls all day; some companies had offered it but they're now discontinued. (One guy told me it didn't exist!)

Where can I get this thing?!?:smsoap:

The largest different ratio that you can have between the front and rear diff for normal driving is .01 so 3.07 or 3.08 will not matter.

However why not just upgrade to 3.55's from the junkyard?

I don't mind the tamer 3.08 ratio; I was also hoping to avoid involving the front diff. I have to replace the R&P and the LSD in the rear (and bearings). Thing was wailing like a banshee even on sidestreets, and now its making a clacking sound.

If I can't find a 3.07/3.08 R&P set, I may have to go with 3.55's all around. Interesting note, Jeep says they can order me a 3.07 gearset but b/c of a new bolt pattern, I need a whole new carrier also. Super.

Your XJ does have 3.07 gears, but the set i just found by googling Chrysler 8.24 ring and pinion says 3.08. I dont think it will be that much of a difference; less than 1 mph off at 3000 RPMs. Unless youre running 85" tires, than you will be 1.02 mph off. http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/cata...70634?osCsid=1b7682368acd40439aec02c153d40242

:callme:Rep says that Yukon never made these gears, they were rebox from Jeep. At this time, they're no longer available.

The Front Axle looks much more intimidating then it really is. I had never done an axle swap and it really wasn't that hard. You'll thank yourself if you ever go to larger tires. 3.07s and only 31"s suck.

Just talked to my friendly Jeep parts pusher down in Geneva, IL. Gotta call him back yet this afternoon, he's chasing this down, as well as digging out other parts. According to him, Crown doesn't service the r&p for 3.07s (not sure if they ever did.)

Randy's has 2 listings for 3.08's!

According to Ted @ Lou's Sales (Geneva, IL, 630-232-2860,) there is an updated gear set where the carrier does need to be replaced. *BUT*......

4728707AC is the part number of the gear set you want. This p/n doesn't require replacing the carrier. The D/C warehouse that Ted deals with has some 20 sets in stock, but holy crap, they're expensive, over $500.

If you call Ted, tell him Jeff Kalchik sent you.

According to Ted @ Lou's Sales (Geneva, IL, 630-232-2860,) there is an updated gear set where the carrier does need to be replaced. *BUT*......

4728707AC is the part number of the gear set you want. This p/n doesn't require replacing the carrier. The D/C warehouse that Ted deals with has some 20 sets in stock, but holy crap, they're expensive, over $500.

If you call Ted, tell him Jeff Kalchik sent you.

WHOOOOA!!! $500?!? That might be the way to go, though. I just got a call back from a rep at 4wheelersupply, and he called "everywhere" looking for this R&P -- Superior, Yukon, Randy's, Crown . . . NOTHING.

This 4728707AC from Ted looks like my best bet. Thank you so much for finding this for me!:cheers:

Just as a side note, I ran a search through http://www.car-part.com looking for a 97 XJ rear axle, 8.25 3.07 gears, in New York state. Came up with a BUNCH of hits. This might be worth looking into.

I have the 3:07's in my 98 5 speed along with an auburn pro in the back. I also have a set of 4:10's, if you were closer I'd offer the 3:07's for doing the 4:10's in both my axles. I still have the original carrier out in the shed.

There's 2 issues with junkyard axles.

1) Does the yard *REALLY* have an 8.25 with 3.07 gears?
2) Is it in any better condition than what he has?

If you can pick up a JY axle for under $400, personally, I'd just swap the axle and chance it.

I don't mind the tamer 3.08 ratio; I was also hoping to avoid involving the front diff. I have to replace the R&P and the LSD in the rear (and bearings). Thing was wailing like a banshee even on sidestreets, and now its making a clacking sound.

If I can't find a 3.07/3.08 R&P set, I may have to go with 3.55's all around. Interesting note, Jeep says they can order me a 3.07 gearset but b/c of a new bolt pattern, I need a whole new carrier also. Super.

have you popped the cover off to actually see if its the ring and pinion as the problem? i had a clacking sound in my d35 and it was from a ring gear bolt backing out. i drained the fluid and cleaned the inside, reinstalled/torqued in a new ring gear bolt with some locktite and the clacking went bye-bye.

I might be able to get my hands on a free set of used 3.07 gears out of a '96 if you want to pay the shipping to get them to you. The bad news is I'm in New Brunswick, Canada.

Back