• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ stock gear ratio

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about to go in and make some changes to my 2001 XJ, one of these is a lower gear ratio since I've gone to larger tires. But before I order gears I need to know what's in there to start with and was wondering if anyone knows what gear ratio the factory might have put in it. It has the Up Country suspension option and towing package. My guess is a 3.55, but it's not on the original window sticker or the invoice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AW-4? (The only auto transmission behind the 4.0L) You'll have 3.55s. You don't ned to know what you started with so much as know what you're going to. What size tires? It's been done 'round these parts numerous times, so you don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Jim www.yuccaman.com
This message was my 6,000th post...:thumbsup:

Thanks Yucca-man, that's what I thought in regards to the 3.55 gears.

What I want to achieve in the end is to have the same final drive after the tires are taken into account as before. From the factory I had 225/70x16s and now I have 245/75x16s. Not a huge difference, but when I'm hauling stuff I do feel it, so I want the final drive to the same or maybe slightly lower in order to get back the pulling power that io had before.

I know, that involves changing the carrier, but that's not a problem as I'm putting an Auburn posi unit both front and rear, so that's got to change anyway.

So you may be asking, why go to this muvh trouble when I'm not putting a serious lift on it or big rubber. That's because this is my daily driver. My other XJ, a 1994, is my play toy. It's got 33/12.5x15s on it with lots of cutting, 5" of lift and 4.88 gears. I want to keep the 2001 a bit more civilized, yet still capable for snow, mud, trails, and minor off roading.

3.73 on early models only, I don't think we saw them on XJs after the very early 90s.

BTW, there's no carrier break on the C8.25 axle.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back