• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989.5 VIN Serial Number Range

ChicksDigWagons

NAXJA Forum User
Hello.

I have an 89 XJ 5-speed that I just bought sitting at home 1500 miles away. I didn't think to check to see if it was a BA-10 or AX-15 and was hoping somebody knew where the 89 half year split was?

My Serial is 629257, and when I added up the production numbers I get more than 640000 built before 1989 so I'm assuming that included foreign markets and doesn't help me...

In any case, who knows?

Have someone there crawl underneath and look. The Peugeot case is split left and right - there's a prominent seam right down the middle and numerous bolts holding it together. The AX-15 opens up front-rear.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Have someone there crawl underneath and look. The Peugeot case is split left and right - there's a prominent seam right down the middle and numerous bolts holding it together. The AX-15 opens up front-rear.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

x2, the ba-10 on my 89 has a seam down the middle(front to back).

another way to tell is by the tranny mount. the ba-10 will have a (2 pieces of rubber)mount that has rubber on both sides(front and back) of where it connects to the crossmember where the ax-15 will have a solid mount(1 piece) under the trans. hopefully im explaining this correctly.

Thanks for the help guys, but I know HOW to tell the difference!

"Hey Grandma, would you mind crawling under my Jeep and telling me if that greasy thing in the middle is a BA-10 or AX-15..." LOL

Well my Grandmas are dead but you get the idea.

i'm not sure on the serial number split, but i seem to remember the build date for the ax15 change was pretty early '89-around march, i think.

IMO, the BA10 gets a bad rap. I know it's no where near the AX-15, but for 98% of people its just fine. I've never had bad luck with the two I've owned.

what the hell, i guess i'll defend it too. my '87 has one with 203,000 hard miles on it-whether that's original, ellephino. it makes a little noise in 5th, but it's done that for 10k now.

Thanks for the help guys, but I know HOW to tell the difference!

"Hey Grandma, would you mind crawling under my Jeep and telling me if that greasy thing in the middle is a BA-10 or AX-15..." LOL

Well my Grandmas are dead but you get the idea.
You have to realize that there are very few definite cutoff dates in the Toledo Jeep factory. The 1997 model year was a definite cutoff, but most accessories seem to have been phased in. Even when there was a new innovation (1996 slipyoke change, etc) it seems there were always at least a few more that were built with the old parts as they cleaned out parts bins and warehouses with the 'old' parts.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

the BA-10 in my 87 'manche has 213k on it and its doing just fine (knock on wood)

i think the BA-10 gets a bad rap, its not a hardcore wheeling trans for sure, but for normal DD driving they seem to hold up just fine.

Back