• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke head off seat bolt plz help

Leica99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Went to take the wasted driver's seat out of my 97 and the right front (rusted) bolt head snapped off. There is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the headless bolt still sticking out. I kind of doubt vise grips will work, any suggestions on how to get it out?

craftsman makes a stripped bolt/damaged head remover. i think they come in a set of 5 for like 30$...one of the best/most used tools ive bought

Drill it. Me, I use left handed drill bits, I get lucky about 90% of the time and it backs out on it's own, left handed drill bits are kind of like easy outs only not such a nitemare if they break off. :D :D :D

if it is a junker like my 96 just drill and tap if you geta nice hole or i think on one of them i cut somthing and got a nut behind there

from a wise one to us humble folk... same problem different location...

WrenchMonkey
NAXJA Member #771 Join Date: May 2003

Re: Motor mount bolts broken off in the block...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel80
I hate to tell you but I think you are pulling the motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsloth
Without the $250 (used!) drill it would have been impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee chuck
Bad news...

You guys are not making me feel any better about my predicament.

Old guy at work (who's been wrenching on old cars longer than I've been eating solid food) says the bolts may not be that tight in the block. That I may be able to cut a slot in each one with a wizzit, and just back em out like slotted screws.

So I hosed em down with some Yield tonight, and plan to try that in the morning. I'll report back when it doesn't work...

Thanks...
Robert

(All I could find from MORE were their replacement frame-side motor mounts. I can't imagine what they could offer for the block side that wouldn't need the same bolt holes I'm working on... Thanks anyway!)

If that bolt head broke off because the bolt is rusted solid in the body then no easy solution is going to cut it. You need heat, penetrating oil, or just drill it right out.

I'd personally weld a nut onto the top of it first and see how that works. Then when it broke off flush with the body I'd drill it out. But better than 50 percent of the time welding a nut is enough heat to break it loose.

If enough thread is coming out through the under side of the jeep grab it with a pair of vise grips. I've also had luck with drilling and running a screw into the center of the broken bolt and the using it to back it out.

Wierd never heard of those bolts breaking. Both of the rear outer seat bolts on my seats snapped, just drilled through the floor and used a nice grade 8 bolt and nut. The same happened on my friend's XJ too, both outer rear bolts snapped.

Unfortunately the bolt does not go through the floor. It goes through a "raised" portion of the floor horizontally. There is a hole behind it and I can see the bolt sticking out, but the hole is offset and not big enough to fit a tool in there.

I bought the Craftsman bolt remover set for 20 bucks. Hopefully it will work.

they sell the left handed bits at northern tool thats the only place i have seen them

I would try the bolt removers bluejeepkid mentioned. either that or vise-grips. If you have 1/4 or so sticking out like you said then you shouldnt have a problem.

Back