• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing freeze plugs?

NXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Had some coolant coming down from the back of the block. Initial thought was freeze plugs, and yes indeed, the one furthest back seems fairly corroded.

Yikes. How do I pull out the old ones and avoid them dropping into the block? I assume I have to pull the exhaust and intake manifolds to get to them? Can I recycle the gaskets, or should I order up new ones along with the plugs? I think I'll do the five along the block, the ones in the back and front (?) seem like too much of a PITA!

Suggestions?

For sticking them back in I just get them started then take a piece of 2" x 2" flat steel plate and use that to drive it in, the plate will put them flush provided you get it started straight.
To prevent this from happening again use distilled water for the coolant mix.
Also use brass ones, they last longer.

Argh, special tools? I figured I could knock the one side of the plug inwards and have it pivot within its hole?

Distilled water and brass plugs for sure. Any word on the gaskets?

I would just get new gaskets if you are going to go through the trouble of removing the manifolds. They are not that expensive and it better to be safe than sorry.

It's unlikely your old gasket will come off in one piece anyway. I'd replace it.

Argh, special tools? I figured I could knock the one side of the plug inwards and have it pivot within its hole?

Distilled water and brass plugs for sure. Any word on the gaskets?

I work in an automotive machine shop so I've pulled out lots of plugs, granted the engines are on stands with no fenders and such in the way. I use a punch with a groove ground on the side, just make the plug spin, hook it and it will come right out.
I've found two sets of plugs that were just knocked inside of a block before, if one falls in I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it.

When you put the new plugs in make sure the hole is clean and use some of the retaining locktite on them.

~Alex

Wait, so you're using a chisel and knocking the plug lengthwise within the hole? And by 'hook it' you mean? Wouldn't using lock-tite kinda defeats its purpose?

Wait, so you're using a chisel and knocking the plug lengthwise within the hole? And by 'hook it' you mean? Wouldn't using lock-tite kinda defeats its purpose?

Normally when I replace a freeze plug I put a bit of indian head gasket cement around the edges before I hammer it in. Usually the brass is soft enough that it forms to the hole and seals really well, usually, nothing I hate more than getting all done and finding a seeping freeze plug AFTER I have the headers back on...

Back