• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what to expect with a 94' xj

tonexj

NAXJA Forum User
well im buying one next week, with a blown head gasket and a hole in the radiator for $300 bucks. it looks pretty clean and is a worthwhlile upgrade from my peugot equipped 89'. but im wondering about some things:

will it have a tranny cooler?
will a new radiator be different if it has a cooler or not?
any particular problems about this year aw4's? im used to jeep 5-speeds..
and lastly.. what should i be concerned about when picking this thing up? i mean for $300 its a steal even if stuffs messed up but should anything turn me off?

well im buying one next week, with a blown head gasket and a hole in the radiator for $300 bucks. it looks pretty clean and is a worthwhlile upgrade from my peugot equipped 89'. but im wondering about some things:

will it have a tranny cooler?
will a new radiator be different if it has a cooler or not?
any particular problems about this year aw4's? im used to jeep 5-speeds..
and lastly.. what should i be concerned about when picking this thing up? i mean for $300 its a steal even if stuffs messed up but should anything turn me off?

Dude what ya expect for 300.00?? Just kidding.... You said it was clean so its got that much going for it..
The stock rad will have a built in tranny cooler.

Best price for a Rad. is http://www.radiatorbarn.com/

AW4's are all good

Yeah I agree with you on your last comment.

Good Luck

Nick

btw, I just spotted a 94 on my way home from work. Rockers rusted out so I assume the floors are which makes it unsafetyable as far as I'm concerned. auto with 231 and fully stock. They are asking 400 as is so I'm sure I could get it for $300. sign says it runs good. approx 160,000miles on it. for what its worth.

Some Cherokees have an additional radiator cooler. There is no difference in the radiator though as it's just plumbed a little differently. Ditto on the radiatorbarn. The AW4 auto is a pretty robust tranny. Any problems are usually on the electrical side and typically the Throttle Position Sensor which is pretty cheap to replace.

dont mean to hijack but can a tranny cooler be plummed using both the radiator and the cooler using extra lines? seems it would double the cooling effect. maybe too cool is bad? maybe they are already plummed like this, i cant remember...

dont mean to hijack but can a tranny cooler be plummed using both the radiator and the cooler using extra lines? seems it would double the cooling effect. maybe too cool is bad? maybe they are already plummed like this, i cant remember...

If you live in cold climates you want to add the radiator cooler with the auxiliary, warm climates it doesn't matter.

In VA we get some cool mornings in the winter so I have all of mine plumbed like this;

tranny output-auxiliary cooler-radiator-tranny input.

I run a temp gauge and never run above 160 on the hottest of days around here, stays around 120 in the winter.

That's how the stock system is plumbed when you have a tranny cooler. Off the top of my head, I think it's tranny -> cooler -> radiator -> tranny, but those two could be reversed. The added cooler and radiator tank give added capacity help keep things cooler; I've never had a problem that I know of with "overcooling" the tranny fluid, even at -20*F temps...

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back