• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grease points how many?

miketyson

NAXJA Forum User
i recently did an oil change and would like to regrease my greasable joints, but am not sure of exactly how many there are and where.

front steering linkage tre's are obvious but what else is there?

ball joints front?
drive shaft joints?
uv joints?

i searched but found myself sifting through pages of nonsense to find an answer which im sure is second nature to most of you.

also which ones are zerk and which ones if any require needle?

lastly, im using a clear/yellow/brownish sort of motor oil colored lithium grease, anyone or any joints have a problem with that?

thank you,
98xj

Instead of looking through manuels.. Just go to your jeep and start looking for grease zerks... Not only will you learn the grease zerks ,I'am sure there be other things you learn about your rig...

Bonding with ones jeep is a good thing..

Good Luck

Nick

Instead of looking through manuels.. Just go to your jeep and start looking for grease zerks... Not only will you learn the grease zerks ,I'am sure there be other things you learn about your rig...

Bonding with ones jeep is a good thing..

Good Luck

Nick

X2. Roll up under it. Def. drive shafts, cv joints, axle joints, ball joints, shackles(whatever lift you have). Great way to see if you have recently broke anything. Good luck!

Upper and lower ball joints thats 4
Track bar, thats 2 more
Front drive shaft thats 1 more, it's about half way up the shaft so you may need to feel for it.
There are two more that connect the the two fronts together, that big long bar, can't think of the name :(

The answer really depends on what year it is, and what joints may have been replaced in its life. If it's an 87, as your handle suggests, expect zerk fittings in all universal joints, as well as a needle fitting in the CV joint of the front drive shaft, and a zerk on the slip joint. Later models came with no fittings on the u-joints, but replacements may have them.

Most front axle u-joints are non greaseable, but replacements may have a needle fitting in one end cap. You may need to turn the wheel around to find it if it's there.

Back