• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 4.0 Starter Relay Wiring Help

Flyfisher

NAXJA Forum User
OK...so I forgot to tag the wires when replacing two blown fusable links (long story...see my other thread under Fuel Pump), now I put it all back together and no starter cranking...I'm sure I've got the wrong wires on the wrong pins.

Need a diagram, picture, or just explanation to figure out which wire goes where. I know the fuel pump is the top left (looking at the relay from the connector side), and I think I know which green wire is the starter solonoid wire from the direction its headed, but need to know which terminal it goes on. Also the other two...black/white and smaller green...which terminals do they go to?

Thanks in advance for the help I'm confident I will receive here.

This may or may not help....
91072g03na9.gif

there are two green wires on my 87. One comes from the ignition and get's 12V when you turn the key to start the other goes to the starter solenoid.
Wen I had troubles with my start relay I replaced it with a standard four pin.
12V from the ignition to trip the relay, and wiring the relays power to the battery with a fuse. Might be easier to just wire it up using a standard relay, instead of the OEM only renix job.

Thanks for all the help...but mine has the center post (for ring terminals) and FOUR blade-type connectors. I know the fuel pump is the top one...the other three are two green and one black/white. I need to know where those three go on the relay. Are the terminals marked on the relay (not that I really want to have to take it out to reconnect the wires).

I know someone out there has an '89 that might be able to just look under the hood for me...please?

Thanks again.

Look at the picture posted above.
Dark green going to starter goes on top.
brown/white goes on the lower right.
Dark green coming from the ignition goes to lower left.
To find which dark green is ignition put your multimeter to it and have someone turn the key to start.

From my '88. The lower right one is green as indicated in the pic.

relaysmallgt9.jpg

der, I got it backwards. Thanks for the picture. I guess that's what I get for not going out and looking.

Thank you for the picture....all is well now! Got it all buttoned up and went for a test drive. Seems the only damage from the shorted fuel pump (see my other thread) and mis-wire on the starter relay was a blown signal flasher. I'm not sure how they're related....but, a new flasher and everything seems to work again.

I can't thank all of you enough. I love this forum...the best knowledge-based place on the internet for us XJ lovers!

Churky where did u get that pic?

Back